Sunday, April 8, 2012

"Mirror, Mirror"

The other day, I took my son to see the movie "Mirror, Mirror", amidst protests and whines that he did not want to go, that he would much prefer staying home and playing with his toys or video games. He was unhappy, but I rather insisted, since I do not want him to get into the rut of falling into a set routine in life at such a young age. Also, I can't stand when he sits inside all day and plays video games and watches his television shows endlessly.
So off we went. I took out a mortgage in order to get some popcorn and soda at the concessions, and we got to the theater about ten minutes before the movie started, only to find virtually no seats available, save for the ones right in front of the movie screen. My hand instinctively went to my neck, already anticipating the pain that I was expecting from two hours of leaning as far back against the seat as I could, and straining my eyes to see the overly large screen that seemed at times inches from my face. Still, what else to do but make the best of it, and look forward to the movie?
I sat through the previews, which I almost always hate sitting through. This was no exception, especially since others who had not gotten there apparently hours in advance were looking for seats, found none, and tried to make their way to whatever open spaces remained in the theater anyway. Is it not the quintessential theater experience to see the bright screen suddenly darkened by the silhouette of some annoying individual struggling to get seats? It ranks right up there with loud talkers and cell phone calls coming in at the key point of a movie, as well as the sticky floors. You do not know why the floors are always sticky, and you probably do not want to know.
So anyway, the movie finally began, and those assembled, like us, all fell quiet and remained attentive throughout the movie. Really! It was pretty unbelievable, actually! Within five minutes, Sebastien, who spoke only occasionally and yet seemed often to be the only person in the theater talking (not including those up on the screen) was saying that this was a great movie.
Indeed, it was a very good movie! A very different, more modern take on a classic fairy tale. I had seen "Snow White: A Tale of Terror", a movie made back in the late nineties, and it was terrible! So, I was not sure what to expect, and had been hesitant. But this was worth watching, especially if you have kids.
Perhaps the main draw for me was Julia Roberts. She was always the Hollywood symbol of beauty, almost ageless beauty. I mean, she starred in Pretty Woman, which was the movie that made her a star, and that was nearly a quarter century ago! Since then, I have heard her criticized for her unwillingness to not be reminded of her beauty. How many roles, it was asked once on some radio program that I cannot remember the name of, does she need in order to verify yet again that she is still beautiful?
Well, she still looks very, very good. It was a very interesting role for her to take, as the wicked princess who continually asks the mirror who is the fairest one of all, and always getting the answers that she wanted. Since she had been so criticized for kind of being like that in real life, it was definitely a symbolic role for her to take, kind of a passing of the torch, if you will. It should be noted that she was excellent in this film. One of her best, and perhaps her signature for a new phase in her career.
Lily Collins, the daughter of noted rock star Phil Collins, played the lead role of Snow White, and her beauty did indeed outshine that of Julia Roberts. She, too, was very good, and played it perfectly! This might be her breakthrough, and we can likely expect to see her on the silver screen much more often in the future.
This was a fresh take on an old tale, as stated earlier. It was almost sexy at times (as sexy as a child's film is allowed to be, anyway), and is a very modern take on a classic fairy tale, making it almost a whole new story altogether. Definitely something to take the kids to go see!
As for my son? Well, he loved the entire movie, and interrupted it at several points to make sure I knew so. When I asked him about his earlier hesitancy, he made sure I understood that he had just been kidding. Right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment