Friday, April 27, 2012

My French Election Day


I participated in my first French elections back in 2005, after a flurry of activity to secure my dual citizenship. At that point, it was somewhat of a novelty, and when I actually went into New York and stepped into the French Embassy, I almost felt like someone was going to force me out of line and tell me that I did not belong, and had no right participating.
Of course that did not happen, but that was how it felt. Like I was an imposter. I felt the same way for the first election that I ever participated here in the United States, way back in 1992. I was young and fresh out of high school, and excited about the prospect that a Democrat, Bill Clinton, would actually attain the White House, after twelve long years of Republican rule. I could not remember any Democrat in the White House. So, I was excited, but being essentially just a kid, it did not feel entirely legitimate, and I got that same sense that people would view me as an imposter. Of course, that goes away with time, and assuming I participate in this year's election, it will have been the sixth Presidential elections, not to mention numerous other "smaller" elections, that I participated in.
The French elections are much rarer, and so not so routine. Yet, they are starting not to be so new, and the novelty has kind of worn off. There is more documentation required, so it feels more like you have to actually prepare for it then American elections, where they barely check anything. I participated in 2005, when the election focused on the European Union and France's role in it. In 2007, the election was for the Presidency directly, and I felt a sense of accomplishment at having participated in that, as well. I particularly appreciate the two rounds, which allows you to vote for your conscience in the first round, and then vote between the two who emerged from that initial round in the second and deciding round.
Now, it is 2012. Another French Presidential election, and my focus was on participating here, as well. This time, it was made even easer. Unlike before, we did not all have to flock to the overcrowded building in New York. Instead, they made a point of spreading the wealth, so to speak, and provided places to vote in a more regional manner. In northern New Jersey, where I presently reside, the venue was in New Milford, at a specialized French school, The French Academy of Bilingual Culture. There are two campuses, and that is the one in New Milford. There is also one in Morris Plains. I will get back to that.
If you are a registered voter, you get a huge packet in the mail, filled with tons of political flyers, as well They explain the party's platform, as well as a bit about the candidate, what their positions are, and how it will help benefit France, and you, the voter, specifically. These things are pretty universal, are they not? Politicians are pretty much the same no matter where you go, and they all seem willing to promise you the world, so long as they get elected into their desired office.
You can vote by mail and, allegedly, you can vote online, as well. Never tried either approach. Perhaps I am just old-fashioned, but there is something to be said about actually going in person. It just seems like the thing to do. At least for me, it does. I know the world is changing, but it seems our priorities are changing along with it. Elections are being cheapened on many levels, and that is sad. When elections become a reflection of the strive towards ultimate comfort and convenience, they can prove both beneficial and sacrificing something by cheapening it. The that they should be considered holidays, and that people have some excused time off from work still appeals to me. People do not take elections seriously enough, and I think we are paying the price for that relative indifference. But anyway, that's just a personal slice of my opinion, and I do not want to go too far with that thought, since that is not what my intentions were in writing this little piece. This is just a nice little blog about my surprisingly pleasant and convenient experience this time voting in the French election. I don't mean, or want, to take it anywhere else right now.
So, usually it would take quite a while, and some significant inconveniences, in order to get to the Big Apple to vote. But with New Milford, it is much less stressful. No tolls, no hassles parking, and no chaos once inside the actual building. No lines to wait through (not that they were even terribly long in New York, but this time, I was literally in and out of the voting process within five minutes. It was amazingly convenient and thorough! Kudos to whoever came up with these changes!
Once outside, I started paying attention to what had largely been ignored (by me) on the way in. It was a bit like a garage sale, with a table selling second hand books, and another serving food, including crepes (among my favorites). So, I got some food, a roast beef sandwich and some crepes, which were delicious.
Then, I meandered to the book table, and looked at some of the children's books, interested in picking something up for my son, Sebastien. I go to Quebec usually at least once a year, and pick him some things while there, usually. But these were cheaper, and the opportunity is rare, so I went ahead and got him three books.
But that was not it, either. I found out about some of the programs, including weekly summer camp programs, that could serve as decent immersion programs for French language for young kids – such as Sebastien. It is not the perfect system, since Sebastien has resisted French quite strongly thus far, and these programs are meant for kids with some background speaking French. Still, nonetheless, it could work, because they do make accommodations. You have to start somewhere, don't you? The director even asked me what he liked, and when I told her that one of the things that he loved was Star Wars, she mentioned that there was going to be one week specifically with a Star Wars theme, and that included making your own lightsaber! When I later mentioned the idea to Sebastien, he grew very excited, and for the first time, learning the French language was not a major obstacle. Is that coercion? Yup, pretty much. But anybody who has raised a kid will likely understand.
So, all in all, a pleasant election day for me this past Saturday, in what will in all probability be the first of three days this year where I participate in voting in a Presidential election. Two rounds for France, and one for the United States, which is still quite far away, in November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment