Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Fatigue

There are times when you just feel too tired to really be able to do something effectively. That is the way I feel right now. Exhausted. The traditional "overworked and underpaid" sentiments seem to fit right about now. I feel utterly exhausted, deprived of energy.

I have been working some extra hours lately, which is not exactly overtime, since it comes in my part-time job. Still, I welcomed it, because since I have no vacation hours there as a part-timer, then any shifts I take off for are simply days I don't get paid for. So, working a few extra days and shifts seemed like a good opportunity.

But this is the time when you pay for such decisions. My eyes are heavy, my eyelids keep wanting to close. Wakefulness is a memory, and has been for a while now. It would be nice if tomorrow was a restful day, but it will be worse than today, as far as that goes.

There have been a few potential entries that I have been working on lately. Both are on books. One is Walden, by Henry David Thoreau, and the other is Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. These are both excellent books, although they are radically different from one another. They deserve to be read and understood. Both have something to say about our present age, albeit from different standing points.

So, yes, I am working on these, yet progress has been slower than expected. The fatigue has been affecting my writing, and so I have not exactly been on fire. I thought I would be done with one, if not both, of these pieces by now, but that has not been the case. Apologies. But we all have our good and bad days, don't we?

I will be going on vacation soon. In less than a week, in fact. Perhaps my tone of fatigue is transparent in this blog. Perhaps I sound like I could use a vacation?

Frankly, I'm just looking forward to being able to sleep in for a few days in a row. It will be a refreshing change from the usual grind. My normal schedule is quite tiring, but just lately, with the extra hours, it's been rather ridiculous. I can feel it in the weighted down feel of my eyelids, and how I keep struggling to not fall asleep.

This is a fairly lame attempt at a blog, simply because, right at the moment, I just did not have the energy or focus to do much of anything  I will be back, and with a bit more momentum, in the near future.

In the meantime, I wish any and all who peruse this blog, whomever you might be, those legions of dedicated fans and readers, the very best. Summer here in the northeast is coming to a quick end, and soon, we will invite cool and windy, crisp autumn days with the brilliant colors of fall foliage. That is a very enjoyable time of the year, but why rush things? Summer is here, and the time for outdoor barbecues, for swimming, for vacation (for most people, anyway), for all manner of outdoor activities in general, is just about over. But we had better enjoy what's left of it, before it goes away for a good, long while!

No comments:

Post a Comment