Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sleepless in New Jersey: The Flip Side of the Holiday Season

I couldn't sleep last night. Woke up maybe around a quarter to two in the morning, and then the dog needed to go to the bathroom, evidently. Basia got up and opened the front door for him, and he went out and did his business. Then we all tried to go back to sleep, but it was largely unsuccessful.

We got to talking, and apparently, we had both been awake for some time, prior to the dog whining and getting us both up. Neither of us could sleep.

Why?

Well, here's the thing: we went Christmas shopping that evening, prior to going to bed, and we both overspent.

So, we both felt guilty.

I felt guilty because of all the money that I spent on some items recently. She felt the same way - specifically about some perfume that she had purchased at Macy's that evening.

It seems a bit odd to me, this notion that we should have guilt and stress so automatically associated with the holiday season. Why?

Well, most likely because we are an overly consumer-oriented society. We attach the utmost importance to money and money-oriented things. It becomes a badge of honor to get the most expensive things, and this is most actively encouraged during this time of the year. Since we are shopping for other people, it can be viewed as noble. We want to be seen as generous, willing to give.

So, businesses encourage us to part ways with our well-earned money. I heard somewhere a few years ago that retail stores expect about 50% of all their revenues from holiday shopping. We buy huge amounts of things, presents and such, for others. Many of us (probably most of us) also buy some things for ourselves, since the sales and such that are a trademark of this season also tend to seem so good, that we might as well precisely during this season of savings.  I mean, who doesn't, right? I'll admit to having done this in the past, and even this year already. I always want to knock this off, thinking it a bad habit. Yet, I almost always wind up getting myself something for the holidays, as well, even though I know (or think I know) better.

Of course, there are reports that these savings are not actually savings. That reports of just how much you can and will save are, in fact, greatly exaggerated - and this is particularly true, evidently, for Black Friday.

Now, there's a "holiday" where people seem to just go nuts, and far too often, lose all sense of perspective and balance. I went shopping yesterday, and will likely go Christmas shopping again soon, but one day that I have managed to steadfastly stick to my guns of going nowhere near the stores is Black Friday. This is not to say that I have not been tempted - I will readily admit that I have. Plus, there is a bit of intrigue and mystery surrounding it for people who have not (yet) participated, so I guess there is a mix of that, as well as the romance of getting some new things at rock bottom prices.

But nothing comes too easily, and despite the traditional magic with many are taught to view the Christmas season with, we learn, as adults, that nothing comes without a price, even when the prices is advertised to be lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment