Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolution 2013

Like most people, I have had New Year's Resolution every time a new year rolls around. Also, like most people, many of these resolutions saw success for a few days, maybe a few weeks, tops, before being promptly forgotten.

Over the years, my New Year's Resolutions have probably looked remarkably like those of other people, as well. Lose some weight, or handle my money better. Work on my writing, particularly my editing (which tends to be my weak point). Read more, or perhaps read better quality books. Clean more regularly (that particular one I was considerably more successful with this year, and living with my girlfriend, who is a neat freak, keeps me pretty well in line in that regard.

When I was younger, before I had ever been involved with anything remotely resembling a serious relationship, my resolutions used to be about getting a girlfriend. That sounds kind of pathetic, and I wonder if I should even actually publish this part. But, if I am being honest, that was one of my resolutions back in my teens, and perhaps even early twenties.

It seems that we generally take a moment to review ourselves when an old year ends and a new one begins. We take an honest look at our own faults and flaws, or some aspects of ourselves, of our personalities or habits that we don't like, and resolve to improve ourselves. Sometimes, this can have a superficial element to it, and other times, it's more substantive.

What I really would like to do as a New Year's Resolution, if it is at all possible, is to be able to say at the end of each day of this new year, that I did something to improve who I am on that day. I want to enrich my life, to continue to read, and perhaps with more of an emphasis on books that make me think. I read a few in 2012, some of which I posted reviews of on this blog. But I want to continue to at least try and improve my mind. That includes working on my French language skills, by reading more French language stuff, and watching more French language programming, such as movies on the French channel. That also will not be limited to my mind, but also exercising my body, with good, lengthy walks, and returning to at least fairly regular workouts. Again, to do something to improve myself, every single day. Perhaps also, to try and be more cognizant of my own selfishness, and not to concede to it as often as I undeniably have. There has been improvement, but there is certainly room for further improvement, no doubt.

Perhaps New Year's is a time to be reflect and be thankful, much like Thanksgiving is intended to be. So, in that spirit, here are words to try and express how thankful I am, for so many things, and to recognize how blessed I have been! Blessed to see my healthy, happy son grow another year older, missing teeth and all! I am thankful for a stable new relationship with Basia! Thankful for the health of family, friends, and loved ones, as well as myself. So much to be thankful for as the old year ends, and so much to hope for as a new one begins. Here's wishing everyone finds contentment and true happiness as life's journey begins during this artificial distinction that we call the New Year!

This thing that I posted on the bottom looks much better in black on white, and I could not adjust it properly to make it look right. Still, it looked decent enough to get the message across, and it just seemed like a nice thing to share. Happy New Year, and let's make 2013 the best year that we can!



‎`´¸.•°*”˜˜”
..
¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.
/˚ •* ♥♥ ˚ ˚˚ ˛* ˛° * ° ˚ • *˚ .
/
*˛˚ ٌٌٌ Happy New Year 2013 ░░ ˚ .
/ \ ˚.
*˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ˚ 。✰ •* ˚


No comments:

Post a Comment