Monday, April 8, 2013

The Chicago Bulls at the Washington Wizards: Game Recap

A main focal point of the recent trip to Washington was a basketball game that I had gotten tickets to. My son had asked to see a basketball game, and so, I got tickets to see the Washington Wizards (I still usually refer to them as the Bullets) and the Chicago Bulls. Here are my thoughts on the experience:



This was not the first time that I had been in this building, although it was the first time for my son (and obviously, by extension, the first time for me with my son). As I walked in, I remember the two other times - for the Vote for Change Finale back in 2004, featuring an incredible assortment of musicians, including Pearl Jam, REM, John Fogerty, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, the Dixie Chicks, John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, and the Dave Matthews Band. What a night that was! It was a dream lineup, and among the biggest single concert events that I have ever attended. Maybe, I would even say the second biggest concert event that I ever went to, and I still marvel that I actually managed to get tickets for relatively cheap, all things considered. Plus, it was for a good cause - getting Bush out of office (although he stayed in office for another four years, much to the detriment of the nation). 

More recently, on a trip with my now ex-girlfriend, we went to a hockey game between the Washington Capitals and the Carolina Hurricane. Back then, the Capitals were a hot and explosive team, although they got eliminated quickly in the playoffs. But I remember how energetic the building seemed for that game, and for that team. 

So, I had some memories - and pleasant ones! - in this place. Since I hoped this trip to ultimately become a good memory for us both, I was hoping this would add nicely to my pleasant recollections of the place.

We got there early. Although I was tempted to visit the city a bit after stopping at the hotel, I only had an hour and a half or so, and just figured it might be better just to go straight to the game. We could watch the players warm up, and settle into our seats, relax, and for once, not have to rush. It was actually enjoyable to get there with plenty of time to spare. 

I will admit that, throughout the game, I was almost half expecting another Keven Ware kind of injury, and wondering what I would say to my son under such circumstances. Of course, such extremely graphic injuries are a rarity in sports. But when they happen, they are truly horrific. There was one injury in the game, Kirk Hinrich of the Chicago Bulls, who have been riddled with injuries for much of the season.

The Chicago Bulls started off dominating every facet of the game. I did not realize this going in, but many Washington fans get up on their feet in the beginning of a Wizards game, and only sit down once their team has managed to net it's first points. Let me tell you, it took quite a while on this night.

Of course, ultimately, the Wizards did score, and the fans settled into their seats. But it took the Wizards quite some time to settle into the game, and the dominance by Chicago continued, although Washington did manage to make runs to chip into the lead. 

I will be honest: it had the feel of a blowout win for the visiting Chicago Bulls. This was more or less the way that it felt through to the first half, and even into the second half, to a lesser degree.





Before too long, however, the Wizards were starting to show strong signs of life. The Bulls, who seemed to have the game well in hand early, suddenly saw their lead evaporate. They kept answering Washington' s push to close the gap, but the once decent lead dwindled steadily, until finally, the Wizards found themselves able to tie it.

Then, they had a lead, and it was time for the Bulls to try answering.

This was around the end of the 3rd quarter, beginning of the fourth, and I must say, the first few minutes of the final quarter were among the most boring that I have ever seen in basketball. Neither team put up a single point for well over three minutes, and I think, after four minutes, the two teams had combined for one point total. It was a combination of factors that led to this, including solid defense, poor execution as well as poor shot selection on offense. 

But when the two teams got past this, the game actually wound up having a very exciting finish! 

By this point, Washington was surging, and it was the Chicago Bulls who were hard pressed to keep coming up with answers, just to keep the game tied! What a reversal from early on, when Washington seemed to be sleepwalking, going through the motions, and Chicago seemed to be dictating the tempo.

Now, Washington just kept coming up with the answers, and you could sense the Bulls were bending, on the verge of being broken. Time was now a huge factor. 

Sure enough, the Wizards finally were able to expand their lead to multiple buckets. The Bulls were able to get a basket themselves to get it back to within one possession, but by now, the Bulls were simply unable to stop the Wizards from scoring. Inevitably, time ran out, and the Wizards were able to find enough of a cushion with very little time let for the Bulls to operate, and effectively secured the victory.

It was the eight straight victory at home for the Wizards, who had started off the season miserably, at 4-28. They will not qualify for the playoffs, but what an incredible turnaround!




Man, either the lighting was warped in this building, or we are both incredibly pale, seemingly bordering on sickly! Either that, or we are trying out for roles in the latest vampire show. In any case, here's my little boy, doing his best to placate me with a very convincing smile! 


PS - I know that this review of a game that now took place almost a week ago came a bit late, but it was more about recollections for me that I wanted to document, as part of the recent DC trip, than really following an individual game with little to no playoff ramifications. Just wanted to have fun, and hopefully, maybe someday, my son will read this and recall some of these memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment