Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Even Briefer Sports Update

This is definitely my last sports update before my temporary leave of absence, since the flight is later today (a little more than 12 hours from now as I write this, in fact).

But there were two games that took place last night that affected my predictions.

Firstly, the Miami Heat clinched the Eastern Conference title by blowing out the Indiana Pacers. It was disappointing to see such a great series - and a great challenge by the upstart Pacers - end on that kind of a note. Not hugely surprising, because although I was very impressed (and glad, admittedly), that the Pacers played the Heat so tough, there was never the expectation that they were actually the better team, or anything.

I have liked the Indiana Pacers ever since the 1994 Eastern Finals, when Reggie Miller first began to really kill the Knicks. He was one of the most exciting players of all time, in basketball and in sports in general. He could single-handedly change the entire outcome of a game once he suddenly got hot.

A strong performance like this (never mind the very disappointing Game 7 blowout) bodes well for them, and they should be a strong contender next season.

As for the Heat, I see no reason to change my earlier prediction that they will win against a now very well rested San Antonio Spurs franchise. That series begins in a couple of days, on June 6th.

The other game was in hockey, where the Boston Bruins mopped the ice with the Pittsburgh Penguins, crushing them 6-1.

It seemed to me that no scenario was exactly unthinkable, since all of the remaining teams were recent champions. But Boston just looks damn good - scary good! It is beginning to look like my prediction about this being Pitttsburgh year 9at least in the East) was way off the mark.

Damn impressive!

Very briefly, French hopes are riding high for Tsonga today, who will once again take on his long-time tormentor, the great Roger Federer, in the French Open quarterfinal. Should be really interesting to watch (although I surely won't actually be watching, come what may).

Allez la France!

No comments:

Post a Comment