Sunday, July 7, 2013

America's Big, Fat Problem

I wrote this a while ago, and since I did not get to write much of anything today so far, and since time on this computer is running our for the day, I will now post this.

But there is one thing I would like to add, because during my trip to Europe, I noticed that there are not nearly as many obese people there as there seems to be here. In fact, statistically, the United States is the fattest nation in the world, by far. And the fattest states, to my understanding, are in the Deep South. 

In any case, here's an interesting, if disturbing, article that I found, and thought I'd share with you now, today:



I thought that this was very alarming. A sign not only that we have gotten lazier but, let's be honest, that we are growing even lazier still.

Hopefully, I am not offending anyone here, but it seems important enough to go ahead and say it: I have never understood the fixation with getting a "premium" parking spot. I know a lot of people take it as a point of pride, and in some cases, particularly when the people are old or infirm, then obviously, they should get the very best spots to maximize convenience.

But I know some people, and I mean perfectly healthy people, who are willing to sit and wait in their car in a lane between parking spots, waiting until someone leaves. They keep their eye out for anybody who might be going to one of the cars in a nearby spot, so as to get a good spot. The thing is, there are plenty of spots open within very easy walking distance. Now, mind you, I am not talking about sick or old people, but young and able-bodied people. Yet, they take the bad habit of waiting, so as not to have to be bothered with the extra walk.

Maybe it's a pride thing, because there is something about being close, having that really good spot that seems like a privilege? I don't know, but I don't get it. It seems incredibly lazy, to the point of irresponsibility.

But then again, it is not all that surprising. My own son is fully capable of sitting in front of the television for hours and hours, watching one episode of Spongebob Squarepants, or other favorite cartoons that he has already surely seen every episode of by now. He can, and unfortunately already has, spent hours at a time playing video games as well.

When I have tried to get him out, to play outside like I feel a normal, healthy little boy should, it is met with resistance. He is not happy, and I am the bad guy.

But I do it anyway, and as often as possible, because this is just too important. He is young and healthy and has an abundance of energy. This is the time in his life where that will be the case, and so he


http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/04/look-how-quickly-america-got-fat-1985-2010-animated-map/274878/

3 comments:

  1. And so he...? I see a link at the end, but not the conclusion of your article, unless my laptop is acting up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I once again reminded of that cartoon from the liner notes of one of JB's post-DK's albums... http://aitchjay4.edublogs.org/files/2010/07/93short-attention-span.jpeg
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete