Saturday, July 20, 2013

Stephen King's "The Wind Through the Keyhole"

I was a bit surprised that King returned to the Dark Tower world following the completion of the seven book series.

But he returns, and it seems that this one is a bit of a strange novel. It felt like King was setting up so much of it, as this contains not one, but two stories within a story, that it felt.....well, a little more cluttered and complicated than perhaps it needed to.

Don't get me wrong - I love Stephen King's works. Normally, his written works - at least the fiction - grabs me almost instantly, and before I know it, I am plowing through the book, racing towards the end, wanting to turn the page to find out what happens next. In fact, that is what is happening presently with his latest book, "Joyland", which I am very much enjoying. Few authors make me feel as if I am taking a vacation from myself, but King does.

That said, this one seemed a little slower than most, and I'll be honest: it was a little more difficult for me to get into it. Not sure why, but there you have it. There were moments where it was indeed absorbing, and towards the end, I got through the book with no problem.

Yet, it just did not grab me like his fiction normally grabs me. It is well written, and again, there were points where I enjoyed it. Also, his writing, as always, is admirable. The way that he describes things, so that you almost feel like you are there. There was some of that in this one.

It is a decent book, though, overall, and a must for any fans of the Dark Tower. Not much happens with the main characters - Roland, Jake, Susannah, and Eddie. Mostly, it is Roland telling a story, much like he did during Wizard and Glass. I loved that book, but this one, somehow, just is not quite the same. Perhaps it is because not as much of it actually does focus on those main characters. But it was interesting to learn, for example, the origins of another Gunslinger.

Read the book to find out more. Also, I would recommend reading the book to judge for yourself. Maybe it was just my reading of it, but it did not instantly grab me like almost all of his other works have.

No comments:

Post a Comment