Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer's End

So, another summer has gone, and the fall season will soon be upon us.

Maybe I am getting older, and each summer passes by more quickly than the last. But this summer seemed to really fly by even quicker than I expected (or wanted).

It was just getting warm, and May spun around. Before I knew it, May had passed, and June was here.

Great! My girlfriend and I were going on a trip to Poland, a trip we had been planning for many months. And here's the thing: when you plan for something like that for so long, somehow, inexplicably, it feels like it should last longer than it does.

But the trip just absolutely flew by. It was depressing. We both talked about how it seemed we had just arrived, still jet lagged, and half the trip was already over. True, we did a lot. But that only makes it feel more like a sped up blur of events.

Neither of us were happy on our return, I can tell you that much.

But back we were, and most of June was gone. Before long, it was July.

And much like the trip, somehow, I half expected the summer to slow down, as well. But before I could get used to it being July, it was gone, too.

August was here. And it was late summer already. later in the month, I would take a trip with my son. Later in the month, I was supposed to meet a friend that I had not seen for well over a decade. There would be swimming, and also, a bit of overtime at work. Preseason football games, when the tickets are more available and far cheaper, and the weather generally more accommodating.

It felt like it should all slow down.

But it did not. August flew by, perhaps the fastest month of all. I'm not sure why, because on some levels, it was not a very good month for me. Car problems cost me an unexpected $700 plus. This proved costly, and my trip was suddenly in jeopardy. About a week before departing, I seriously entertained cancelling the whole thing. I didn't, because it seemed it would be unfair to my son. Plus, I felt in need of a break, myself, admittedly. But the thought was definitely there.

The dates for the trip rushed to us, and then, quite predictably, the trip itself rushed by.

Suddenly, it was the final weekend of the summer. Unbelievable!

I worked on Sunday, like always. I had been invited to a barbecue, but was to tired, recovering not just from the long drive back on Saturday, but also from the overnight shift I worked right after. Tired did not cover it. So, the barbecue was not in my future for that day, unfortunately. One thing I found out, though - it was postponed until next Sunday, the rain date. So, maybe I will get the privilege of enjoying one last taste of summer after all.

But Monday was Labor Day, and then, summer would all but officially be over. I wanted to make sure to bring my son swimming at Wawayanda Lake one last time. He made such progress with his swimming this year, and I was so proud of him! Plus, swimming is fun! So, we went, likely for the last time this year.

And now, I write this. the extra money from the overtime hours (and there were quite a few) are all pretty much gone, after so much in car expenses. Money is short, but there is no more overtime on the horizon that can be seen, because everyone already took their summer vacations. My son starts school tomorrow.

Officially, there are still three weeks of summer, but they never really feel like summer, do they? That lightness of summer is gone. The days are not as hot, and the nights will begin to be downright cool, soon enough. Not that I am complaining about this, because I prefer the milder weather, honestly. Sure, I'll miss the swimming, and wearing t-shirts, shorts, and sandals. But the fall is nice, weatherwise. No complaints.

That said, the shorter days are a bit depressing. It gets dark noticeably earlier. The leaves will change colors soon, and not much later, they will be stripped from the trees altogether. And the dead brown and gray of late fall will be here, too - the precursor to winter.

Sigh.

I actually don't mind winter, or generally did not in the past. But I am not a big fan of driving in snowy conditions, let alone hail or ice storms. The cold does not bother me as much as most people, although it can be a drag to feel the need to bundle up on especially cold days, especially when it has been months. I have always found that winter holds a certain charm up to and including the holiday season. It feels right up until then, and really gives that holiday feel. But by February, most everyone just wants the winter to end, already.

Yet, all of that is in the future, yet. It is only the day after Labor Day yet. My son has one more day of freedom, before school resumes. And the weather is not too bad. A little rainy, maybe, but i don't actually mind the rain either. There is a lot to look forward to, actually.

Although I have to admit, a part of me still longs for the longer summers of my childhood, when it meant freedom from school, light clothing, and fun at summer camp, with swimming as the cherry on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment