Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Weather Provides a Pleasant Birthday Gift

It was my birthday a couple of days ago.

And while I am not exactly rejoicing about being another year older and, paraphrasing Pink Floyd, being that much closer to death, I nevertheless had an enjoyable day.

It happened to be a day that I had off from work. Not that I specifically took it off, but rather was the product of my quirky, admittedly unusual schedule.

My girlfriend woke up early, and very tired, having to go to work, of course. We usually fall into a routine at this point on Wednesday mornings.

She asks me why I am up, almost every time. I answer, also almost every time, that it is usually pointless to stay in bed, because I will not fall back asleep. Maybe a nap later on will help, but at that point, it is just as well simply to get up and do something. 

What I usually do is go on the computer and write. Specifically, I usually write something for this blog.

Such was the case this past Wednesday, no what turned out to be probably the most active day for "The Charbor Chronicles". 

I finished up the piece that I had been long working on, and which took me longer, even much longer, than any other single entry before. it was about hypocrisy in marijuana policy, and the pros greatly outweighing the cons in regard to legalization of pot. 

Also, there was a piece on Gandhi, honoring his birthday. Then, there were a whole bunch of articles, as well as "On This Day in History". Before I knew it, I had been sitting before the computer for three hours or so!

It was a beautiful day weatherwise, and one of the things that I had definitely wanted to do was go out and enjoy the weather. There was even one place specifically that I had in mind: nearby Duke Farms. 

But when I went there, it was closed. It is always closed on Wednesdays, evidently.

Strange.

So, instead, I went slightly further, and read by a riverside, enjoying the sunny, spectacular day. The weather really was as ideal as you could ask for. Probably in the eighties, but not humid. The sun shining, but not bearing down relentlessly on you. Just a perfect kind of day, you know?

I read a book on Gandhi, as well as continuing Stephen king's latest, "Doctor Sleep". 

Eventually, after a couple of hours, I returned back home, and waited for her to come back to me.

We went out that evening, and ate at an outdoor restaurant in Somerville. It was a beautiful evening. Again, the weather was perfect. Could not have been more ideal.

It was a couple of days ago as I write this. Specifically, it was this past Wednesday, October 2nd. 

The last few months have been fairly rough, on several levels. But when you get a chance to forget your problems, even for a little while, and enjoy something like this, I think it's good to focus in on that, and stay positive. That's what I am trying to do, and so I figured it would be nice to reflect on a nice day.

And if you decide that you want to get me a gift for my birthday, I will accept. Please feel free to contact me, and remember, the more expensive the gift, the happier this blogger is apt to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment