Thursday, February 13, 2014

More Winter Stress Piles Up

Another storm. This one is projected to dump up to a foot of snow in the northwestern part of New Jersey.

Further south, there will be less snow, but the problem is that there will be a "wintry mix", which usually translates to meaning ice/hail. In my opinion, ice is infinitely worse than snow. With snow, everyone slows down, knowing full well that they have no choice. When it is icy or hailing out, unless it is heavy, loud, and obvious, generally people go faster, because it does not look all that bad. Of course, the fact that black ice is the term for slippery conditions that you might not be able to outright see seems to elude far too many drivers.

Sometimes, the worst past of the winter storms is not the driving, but the other drivers. If I were alone, and had to reach a destination, knowing I was the only one on the road, I would not be so worried. That is simply because, given enough time, I would likely get there, since I don't mind taking as much time as needed. But other drivers racing, tailgating, showing impatience and inadequate respect for the inclimate conditions, as well as to those more cautious drivers, and setting themselves up to potentially losing control of their cars - that is the main source of stress for me in regard to these winter storms.

There was one time when I was working in Pomona, New York over the winter. It was a bad winter (2002-2003), with a lot of storms. In particular, there were a lot of small storms, meaning that there would be just a few inches of snow - enough to make it very inconvenient. You have to clean the snow off of the car, and you have to drive with caution. But you cannot call out because there were two inches of snow that fell. Especially with a winter like that one, or like this one. If you value your job, you have to make the sacrifice, and go in.

But it sure is annoying. In any case, I was driving to work one night back then, heading up the Palisades Parkway going north, when I saw someone just absolutely flying past me in the left lane. Driving like it was seventy degrees and sunny, rather than dark and icy, with treacherous driving conditions. It's funny, because for a split second or two, you begin to wonder if that guy could make it, and feel so overconfident, then maybe I can speed it up, too. Everyone else was being cautious, though, and I continued going on as slowly as was necessary.

Some minutes later, I saw the car again, off quite far to the right, over a pile of snow. It had gone off the road, as the driver must have lost control. He was on the phone, standing on the edge of the highway, around the area where he had lost control. That did not seem too smart to me, since it was obviously a slippery area, and it was not impossible that another approaching car might also lose control in the same area. And I looked at that guy, who had been driving so impatiently, so cockily, and I wondered if, from now on, he would have more adequate respect for slick driving conditions, or if this was a lesson that would be lost in due time. You never know.

It really is amazing, how many people underestimate the conditions, or overestimate their ability to handle those conditions.

In any case, here I sit, watching yet another snowstorm as I write this at work. I'm not taking any chances. Snow is one thing, and we are supposed to get plenty. But the ice worries me infinitely more. So, I took the precaution of bringing the warmest clothes possible, and extra supplies. Extra jackets, to serve as a blanket, because my suspicion is that I['ll be sleeping in the car a bit. Also, extra food, because I suspect I'll pretty much spend the day here, until my shift tonight. There are plenty of books that I brought to read with me, and help pass the time.

Everyone seems very sick and tired of this winter at the moment. These storms just wear on you. Not just these big ones, either. A few days ago, I went out to the car, to find about two to three inches had fallen. You take those extra few minutes to clear off your car, while warming it up. Then, the driving is a bit slower. A bit more stressful, too.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I don't hate the winter. it has a certain charm. The fall is enjoyable, and right around Thanksgiving, it starts to feel a lot more like de facto winter. That month or so in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, you expect the cold, and snow. It holds a certain charm.

But that wears out fast, once the holiday season is done. Once your back and/or your hands start to hurt from shoveling. Once you have driven one too many times with white knuckles, and found your commute taking two or three, or sometimes more, times longer than it normally might take.

Truth be told, it has been a while since we have had a nasty winter. The last two winters prior to this one, in particular, were among the mildest winters that I can remember, and they happened back to back.  When the weather warmed up, you could see the effects, with more insects, particularly more ticks, than I ever remember seeing before in my life. I guess what we needed to get rid of them was a very cold winter. And boy, we seem to have gotten one!

This particular storm is a very annoying one, and not just because of the severity. It started around midnight this past night, and is supposed to last, on and off, throughout the day. It is supposed to let up at some point for a few hours of the day, only to resume again tonight, and go through to Friday morning. The snow accumulations are significant and, on top of it, we also are supposed to get some ice in the mix. Then, to top it all off, we are apparently expecting yet more snow on Saturday afternoon or evening, much to everyone's delight.

By around this time of the year (it's mid-February right now), the winter just feels too long. The charm of it is pretty much gone, and you just want to see spring already. Especially after a winter of record cold temperatures not seen in the region in decades, and several snowstorms that pounded us. Plus, those few ice events that are infinitely worse, even though they do not technically add much in terms of amount of precipitation, usually.

So, let's get this winter over with. I'm tired. It's been a long winter. I've seen myself essentially laid off my part-time job, and the problems keep on lining up to take their best shot at me. The snow and the ice and the cold just adds to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment