Monday, May 26, 2014

The Origins of Memorial Day

Now, I'll admit that I never really knew the origins of Memorial Day until I read this article.

No, that does not mean that I simply thought of it as a vacation day, or a day of barbecue and summer fun. I knew it had more reason than that.

But that it is a holiday that was originally created to honor black troops specifically, that much I did not know, admittedly.

Things you never know, until someone sheds some light on them.

And so, I felt it was something that deserved sharing, and I am helping to spread the word, so that more people understand the truth of the origins of this national holiday.





Forgetting Why We Remember by New York Times Op/Ed Contributor David W. Blight, May 29, 2011:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/30/opinion/30blight.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment