Sunday, June 15, 2014

Some Reflections and Advice on Father's Day

Well, it's Father's Day again.

No, I am not going to impart any wisdom here. I am a father, and take great pride in being so. I love my son more than anything, and remind him of that every chance that I get, for reasons that I can explain at greater length when asked. But for now, let's just say that I want to make sure that he always feels welcome by someone in this world, that he always knows that, with me at least, he's home. Also, that he is considered a blessing, and not a burden, in this world. It's too easy for kids to lose sight of that if they are always being criticized and yelled at, and there is not enough of a soft approach to balance out the "tough love" approach. So, it is always important to me to make sure that he is reminded as often as possible of how much he is appreciated and loved. That does not mean that I do not yell or become a very strict disciplinarian, if the situation calls for it. It just means that I try to be careful in how I approach things with him, and even if I do yell or discipline, it is done in his best interests and out of love, and not because I had a bad day and conveniently am trying to take it out on a weaker, relatively helpless "other".

Okay, well, actually, I did wind up giving my two cents worth, didn't I?

But here are a couple of articles that you might want to look at regarding fatherhood.

In the first, some well known comedians, who all just also happen to be fathers, reflect on children and their roles as fathers in a very funny manner.

Some of these were really funny. I liked the first one quite a bit:

“There should be a children’s song: ‘If you’re happy and you know it, keep it to yourself and let your dad sleep.’” -– Jim Gaffigan

And in the next link, some fatherly advice regarding cars and driving can and is applied to life in general.

Here are the links:




The Truth About Being A Dad, According To 14 Really Funny Famous Guys by Jessica Samakow of The Huffington Post, June 13, 2014:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/the-truth-about-being-a-dad-funny-dudes_n_5481560.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063





15 Pieces Of Fatherly Driving Advice That Apply To Everything published by Buzzfeed on June 11, 2014:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbsp/gofurther/15-pieces-of-fatherly-driving-advice-that-apply-to-everythin

No comments:

Post a Comment