Thursday, July 10, 2014

"The Endless River" - New Pink Floyd Album to be Released in October

I have had a sense of déjà vu for much of this summer, particularly for the summer from twenty years ago which, for some reason, I remember with particular fondness.

Of course I was younger, so I had more energy, more hair, less weight, and a whole lot less of responsibilities. I got my first job, making the minimum wage at the time (a whopping $5.05 an hour).

But it was also the summer of Forrest Gump, one of my favorite movies. It was the summer of Shawshank Redemption, although I would not get familiar with it for a few years, yet. It was the summer of Pulp Fiction (which I actually did not like the first time that I tried to watch it). It was the year of 12 Monkeys, which I still feel is one of the most underrated movies out there.

That was a great year for sports, as well. True, the Giants had gotten slaughtered by the hated 49ers in the playoffs in January. But the Rangers won the Stanley Cup (not that I am a fan of theirs), and the Knicks went all the way to the NBA Finals, barely getting past Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers (that was the summer of the perfect fourth quarter by Miller in Game 5), only to lose in Game 7 to the Houston Rockets.

Kurt Cobain killed himself. Pearl Jam and the whole grunge sound owned the airwaves. It was the year that OJ Simpson murdered Nicole Simpson and her boyfriend, and then got chased by countless police vehicles going at slow speeds. It was the summer of the second Woodstock, which I would not attend, and which failed to even come close to the spirit of the original. I also missed Robert Plant and Jimmy Page on tour together, something that I still kick myself for to this day. But there were concerts that I would attend that year. The Rolling Stones. Billy Joel and Elton John. Metallica, with Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies.

And the first concert that I would attend that year, which also was my favorite of that year - Pink Floyd.

Floyd had just released the Division Bell, which is a brilliant album in it's own right. I know, as a fan of Roger Waters, that many feel any material from pink Floyd without Waters is not actually Pink Floyd. But this album was great, and I enjoyed it immensely. Still do, actually.

So, it was with excitement that I heard that Floyd will be coming out with a "new" album (actually, more or less unreleased stuff from the Division Bell days, as I understand it. It will be named "The Endless River", but again, it has nothing to do with Roger Waters.

Still, I am really looking forward to it, and it strengthens that feeling of pleasant reminiscence of a great year - 1994!  The last time there was a new Pink Floyd album!


Mike Portnoy Has Strong Opinions on the New Pink Floyd Album Announcement Monday, July 7th, 2014 at 11:30AM  By Vince Neilstein

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/07/07/mike-portnoy-strong-opinions-new-pink-floyd-album-announcement/



Pink Floyd Will Release Its First Album Since 1994 in October By Zach Schonfeld Filed: 7/7/14

http://www.newsweek.com/pink-floyd-will-release-its-first-album-1994-fall-257415



Pink Floyd Confirm New Album: 10 Facts You Need to Know About ‘The Endless River’ by Nick DeRiso July 7, 2014:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-facts/

No comments:

Post a Comment