Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mt Katahdin, Maine & Entering New Brunswick

After visiting the Stephen King House in Bangor, we continued our drive eastwards, towards New Brunswick.

But Maine offers a lot of beauty, of course. And there is little that offers the striking beauty of tall mountains, particularly when you can get a view of them near water. And we got such a view of Mount Katahdin, the tallest mountain on the east coast of North America north of the Smoky Mountains!

The last time that I had been to this part of Maine, back in 2006, it was fall, and there were already a lot of colors on the leaves. Also, the foliage did not seem as thick as it did this time, because I remember somehow seeing Katahdin much more prominently than this time around.

Still, we did get a view of it, and here are some of the pictures from that:

As I looked upon Katahdin, I thought a bit about Henry David Thoreau, who took a trip to the mountain. he wrote about these experiences in The Maine Woods, although for the record, I have to admit that I never read it (just read about it).

Katahdin got it's name from the natives who lived here. The name means "The Greatest Mountain", and it's easy to see how it got that title.

If you want to learn more about Mt  Katahdin, this is where I got some of the information that I used in this blog entry from:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin







I really enjoyed this view, which made it look like a farm, or something, with the lake and mountains in the background! 





After maybe three or so hours of driving, we finally crossed into Woodstock, New Brunswick at around 4pm eastern, although we had to push our clocks forward one hour, since we were now in the Atlantic time zone.

There was an information/welcome center not far down the road, and we made a stop there, including some pictures:





The last time that I had been in New Brunswick had been back in 2006, although that had been a very brief trip, mostly focused on Frederickton. Only a couple of years before that had been the more extensive trip, when we had stayed at Cape Tormentine, visited Moncton/Dieppe, and seen the Hopewell Rocks, just before heading back towards Maine via the Bay of Fundy. Prior to that, my family had visited the area back in the summer of 1989, when we had tried to visit St. Pierre & Miquelon. We never got there, but we did try, and we went through New Brunswick and much of Nova Scotia in the process, getting the opportunity to visit that region for the first time!

No, I have not been to the Maritimes often. But I can honestly say that each time that I have gone, I have been impressed, and have had a good time. 

It was nice being back, and we all expected to have a good time on this trip, too!

Unfortunately, there would be some mishaps on this trip. And the first of those mishaps was about to visit us on that first night in Canada. But that is a story for another post....

No comments:

Post a Comment