Thursday, September 25, 2014

Dining Out at Capitaine Homard, Sainte-Flavie, Québec






Okay, so.....back to the trip that we took, now, over two months ago (talk about procrastination!).

One of the places that I thought would be really neat to visit was a restaurant that we visited the first time that we visited Gaspésie, in eastern Québec.

It was a very memorable, distinctive restaurant, as I recalled. And little did I know that my brother also remembered it, and wanted to go back for a dining experience there.

In truth, it is not the kind of a place that we could really even afford to go to easily (although my son wanted to go a second time), but sometimes, you just have to treat yourself - especially when you're on vacation, right? If not then, when?

So we went, and it looked much bigger and more elaborate than even I remember it being back in 1991. It was a large place back then, too, but it was different. For one, I'm pretty sure we went during lunchtime, and I recall it being not all that crowded. I don't think it was crowded this time around, either, but there were more people this time around than I remember there being last time!

The sun was setting across the neighboring Saint Laurent, although the sunset was not as spectacular as it was on some other days, since it was gray and overcast, and simply was getting darker, not more colorful, or anything.

The food was delicious, and it automatically qualified as one of the best meals that we had on the entire trip. My brother had a lobster outright, while I had a specialty soup of the restaurant, as well as a lobster roll sandwich. My son, as I recall, had something a little less adventurous.

But it was a good time.

Back in 1991, I think, my father did not have such a good time at the restaurant, calling it essentially a rip off. If I recall correctly, it was there that my father, upon leaving, accidentally backed into a small sign in the parking lot on the way out. He then mumbled something about how stupid a place that sign was located, and took off without getting out of the car or picking the sign up.

Good times, good times.

In any case, this time, we left the restaurant feeling better, and happy nonetheless to have revisited one of the truly most distinctive places from that 1991 trip! We went back to the campgrounds (Camping Annie, in Métis-sur-Mer, a place that I would highly recommend for families interested in camping during a trip up in the region), and we enjoyed the rest of the evening, as I recall.



Capitaine Homard is very distinctive in appearance, so you can't miss it when you go past it along the Saint Laurent. Here are some pictures to illustrate the point:















A look at the interior of the restaurant, including the gift shop. 




My brother and my son pose for pictures as we wait for the main course. 




The sunset on a fairly gray, cloudy evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment