Sunday, September 7, 2014

New Stamps - "Vintage Circus Posters"

So, yes, I have not published any blog entries on stamps in quite a while now, and it seemed as good a time to do so as any.

So, here are new stamps by the USPS, dedicated to Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus.

When I was a kid, my mom took us to see this, and I remember absolutely being fascinated!

Since then, I have heard some unsavory things about the way animals are treated in circuses, and decided that maybe it's best not to go to them.

Still, nonetheless, it seemed an interesting choice for postage stamps, and so I thought it would be a good idea to share here:




New Stamps - "Vintage Circus Posters"

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_472104

3 comments:

  1. I too have ambivalent feelings about the circus at this point. But I remember that outing well, and look back on it fondly. The four of us, plus Judy and my friend Joyce from Lodi. I remember a clown mingling with the crowd before the show. He walked up to us, gestured to Judy that he wanted some of her popcorn, took a couple kernels out, and then pretended that that's what he was leaving for Judy so that he could have the rest. We all got a kick out of that, just like we all got a kick out of the fact that one of the elephants took a dump during the show. You got a quiet toy - a paper snake or something - while Joyce and I got noisy toys - some sort of whistle if I remember correctly. Man, that was over three decades ago at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Holy crap! I thought I remember it, but you really remember that day as if it were yesterday! Admittedly, I don't recall any of that, and it makes me feel almost like I don't even have the right to have mentioned it in the first place! I just remember going, and the blonde guy with the lions or tigers on his shoulder, and that's pretty much it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was essentially my objective in sharing my recollections of that day: making you see that you have absolutely no business commenting on it, and that your thoughts about it are inherently moot and invalid. Nailed it! (Just kidding, in the unlikely event it was necessary to point that out.) I just have an excellent memory for random silly crap that will never come in handy, ever. Things of a more pragmatic nature, including but not limited to the whereabouts of my phone charger on the other hand - that's another story. Anyway I remember part of the guy you're talking about's name - Gunther. Let me Google the rest... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Gebel-Williams

    ReplyDelete