Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Summer's Last Stand: A Trip to Sandy Hook, NJ




Yes, it's well past Labor Day. And yes, it's going to be autumn officially soon. And yes again, it's getting cool now, particularly in the evenings!

Still, my brother and I took my son to the beach this past Sunday, to get one last real summer activity in before it just gets too cold. And yes, all three of us went swimming in the ocean!

It may seem a bit strange that we would go in mid-September, especially since we have been talking about it since, I think, around mid-July or so. But, our schedules are not the easiest to work with, and when we had chances before this, things just got in the way, including weather, as well as some other things.

But we finally managed to get down there this past weekend, on the better of the two days for a trip to the beach: Sunday. Saturday was rainy and crappy and cool. Not a good day for a beach visit.

Sunday was nice, though. We got there a bit later than anybody expected, I think it's safe to say. But we got there, and made the most of it.

When I first set foot in the ocean, it felt bone chilling cold. At least, that was, that first time that the first wave swept over my feet. It was shockingly cold! My first thought was that there was just no way I was immersing myself in that!

Strangely enough, though, it actually started feeling comfortable, and it did not take very long, either. The idea of going in and submerging myself entirely seemed less and less strange and, before long, that was exactly what I did. Even more strange, it felt great, and not cold at all! I stayed in there for probably close to an hour.

My son was playing with the boards that I had gotten earlier in the summer, and brought with us on our trip down South. He had loved them then, and he enjoyed them now. He and my brother began to use them and, before long, they had both drifted rather far down the beach  -probably a quarter of a kilometer or so, maybe more!

After a while, I started feeling tired, so I got out of the water, dried myself off, and changed. Pretty much read the rest of the way, but I took some pictures as well, which you can see below.

I had brought the sand castle toys and shovels and buckets for my son, because he likes to play with those, usually. But not this time. Ironically, we simply did not have enough time to actually do anything like that this time around, especially him. He was in the water for literally hours.

The funny thing with my son is this: when I mention an idea for a possible activity with him, he usually receives it, at best, with a lukewarm reception. Then, often times, he has a blast, and is the one trying not to leave when it's time to wrap things up. That was the case several times this past summer with our trips to Wawayanda State Park, which also has swimming (at a lake, not the ocean), and a sandy beach to offer. Each time we went, he had a blast, and did not want to leave.

It was the same deal this past Sunday. He was having so much fun swimming in the ocean, that he did not want to come out. Even when the evening began to feel cooler, when the sun began to get closer to meeting the edge of the land to the west, and the day was growing late.

I was glad that he had fun. 

Here are the pictures from that trip to the beach:














No comments:

Post a Comment