Sunday, September 14, 2014

Wellmont Theater Honors 50th Anniversary of British Invasion: Concert Review




 
 

 
 
 
 


Lately, my son seems to be taking more of an interest in music. And he's serious about it, too! I caught him writing down all of the name of the songs, and the artists performing them, during our trip down South earlier this year, when we only had Sirius radio to work with, and were listening to the Lithium, the alternative/grunge station. He really, really like it! He kept mentioning how, when he got home, he was going to find these songs on the computer, probably on Youtube.

Also, he began to talk about wanting to go to a concert someday. He began to ask which concert I might take him to. When I went to concerts earlier this year, he kept asking each time if I was going to take him to that concert. So, the message was received, my son wanted me to take him to a concert.

The thing is, it would have to be a sane concert. He is still just eight years old, and so a concert that would have slam dancing, mosh pits, or body surfing would be way too much for him at this time, especially for a first concert. It needed to be something a bit smoother, calmer.

A while ago, I saw this concert tour coming up. the prices were not too ridiculous (in fact, they were relatively cheap, compared with many concert experiences these days.

So, I decided to go ahead and get the tickets, to see what he thought of actually going to a concert, how he would react.

He said he was excited, and I knew that I was.

These musicians were part of history half a century ago, and even though they have long been overshadowed by The Beatles (obviously) and The Rolling Stones, the two biggest bands that came out of the British Invasion, although there were a few other huge bands from the British Invasion.

But the concert was focused, primarily, on The Beatles, and it seemed like everything would revolve around that. It was a bit of unique history, and the biggest attraction to me was the prospect of seeing Billy J. Kramer, who himself was a protégé of legendary Beatles manager Brian Epstein, and who worked closely with the Beatles - to the point that John and Paul essentially gave him a song! Being a fan of the radio show that comes on Sunday mornings, 'Breakfast with the Beatles", I had heard not only of Billy J. Kramer, but had heard some of his songs and stories, and was impressed. And really, I love the Beatles so much, that almost any chance to really "experience" their history on some level is welcome. I was overjoyed to have seen both of the remaining Beatles on stage together in 2010, and that memory still produces a warm glow for me! And there was another time when I saw the Abbey Road album being covered at NJPAC, and George Martin was there, who has often been referred to as the "Fifth Beatle", because of his ideas regarding their music, and the direction it should take.

So, I was excited, and thought this would be a welcome way to get my young son acclimated a bit with the concert going experience.

Of course, I first heard of the concert months ago, and then essentially, it just kind of snuck up on me, as these things tend to do.

I took him to the concert, and I was excited. So was he.

How did it go?

Well, I loved it! Him? Well, predictably, his enthusiasm diminished once he realized that this was not one of the harder rocking, more recent bands that he got so into during our trip.

Still, he seemed to enjoy the newness of the experience, with the house lights going down, and the band first coming on. He liked the concert lights, as well. That's all part of the concert going experience, after all.

As for me, I liked the chance to see so many musicians that were a part of music history. These included Chad and Jeremy (Chad Smart and Jeremy Clyde of the Everly Brothers), Mike Pender of the Seachers, and Denny Lane, an original member of both the Moody Blues and Wings, Terry Sylvester of the Hollies, who was added to the lineup when Gerry Madsen, one of the original acts, fell ill and could not tour. And, finally, the already mentioned Billy J. Kramer. I was very happy to hear his song "Liverpool With Love", which I had heard (and liked) several times on "Breakfast With the Beatles".

It was also especially nice when everyone joined Denny Laine on stage for the final song of the night, a pretty good cover of the famous Wings hit, "Band on the Run"!

And so, my son can say that he has been to a concert. Of course, he had been to concerts before, on some level. He was in mommy's belly for a Pearl Jam concert in 2005 up in Canada, a couple of months or so before he was born. And also, he was in attendance when we went to see Paul McCartney in Quebec City for the 400th anniversary celebrations, when he gave a free concert at the Plains of Abraham. But my son was still just a baby back then, for the most part, and does not remember anything.

This, I think, he'll remember!

Naturally, I took some pictures, although they were with my cell phone camera. Still, it gives you an idea of what happened, and how it looked, so enjoy!







Set Lists For Each Act:

Terry Sylvester of The Hollies (who replaces Gerry Marsden of Gerry and The Pacemakers, who had to cancel due to illness):
I Can't Let Go  (The Hollies song)
Bus Stop  (The Hollies song)
Carrie Anne  (The Hollies song)
You're No Good  (Dee Dee Warwick cover)
Hippy Hippy Shake  (Chan Romero cover)
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/terry-sylvester/2014/wellmont-theatre-montclair-nj-6bcffa36.html)



Mike Pender formerly of The Searchers:
Sweets for My Sweet  (The Drifters cover) 
Don't Throw Your Love Away  (The Orlons cover) 
Sugar and Spice  (The Searchers cover) 
When You Walk in the Room  (Jackie DeShannon cover) 
Take Me For What I'm Worth  (The Searchers cover) 
Needles and Pins  (Jackie DeShannon cover) 
Love Potion No. 9  (The Clovers cover)
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mike-penders-searchers/2014/wellmont-theatre-montclair-nj-7bcffa10.html)




Chad & Jeremy (Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde of The Everly Brothers):
You Are She  
Distant Shores  
Yesterday's Gone  
No Other Baby  (The Sidekicks cover) 
A Summer Song
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/chad-and-jeremy/2014/wellmont-theatre-montclair-nj-7bcffa24.html)


Billy J. Kramer, who was one of Brian Epstein's protégés, along with The Beatles:
I Won The Fight  
I'll Keep You Satisfied  
From a Window  
Do You Want to Know a Secret  (The Beatles cover) 
I Call Your Name  (The Beatles cover) 
Trains and Boats and Planes  
Liverpool With Love  
Little Children  
Bad To Me  
The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore  (The Walker Brothers cover)
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-j-kramer/2014/wellmont-theatre-montclair-nj-6bcffa1e.html)



Denny Laine, of The Moody Blues and Wings:
I'll Go Crazy  (James Brown cover) 
Say You Don't Mind  
Go Now  (The Moody Blues song) 
Encore: 
Band on the Run  (Wings song) (with Terry Sylvester. Mike Pender, Chad & Jeremy. and Billy J. Kramer)
(http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/denny-laine/2014/wellmont-theatre-montclair-nj-73cffa21.html)


























Wellmont Theater celebrates 50th anniversary of British rock invasion northjersey.com, SEPTEMBER 12, 2014:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment/music/wellmont-theater-celebrates-50th-anniversary-of-british-rock-invasion-1.1086963




BRITISH INVASION TOUR 2014

http://www.birchmere.com/events/british-invasion-tour-2014/


http://www.rhino.com/all/artist/billy-j-Kramer


http://triblive.com/aande/music/6502152-74/beatles-says-concert#axzz3DHfGsrXE

2 comments:

  1. I went to the concert also and after it was over all of the perfomers were stationed at tables in the lobby and met and signed autugraphs for the fans. It was a pleasant surprise to meet them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw that, too. Pretty cool. Maybe would have done it myself, only I had to get my little boy to bed! Hope you enjoyed the show, and got all of their autographs!

    ReplyDelete