Friday, October 3, 2014

Most Memorable Moments in Marvel Comics History

I don't know if I qualify as a big enough fan of Marvel comics to really judge the merits, or lack thereof, of this list.

All I know is that, to me, the eighties was the golden age of superheroes and comic books, and I still derive a lot of pleasure from looking at the comics and movies and cartoons from that era. Why, we had Star Wars and Indiana Jones and GI Joe and the Transformers and, of course, superheroes!

For me, I was a big fan of Marvel comics back in the eighties, although I also sometimes read some back issues from the sixties and seventies. My favorite characters were Spiderman, Hulk, and Wolverine, although there were other superheroes, as well.

I liked those other comic books, as well. Indiana Jones and Star Wars were more specialty ones that I don't remember being in the comic stands from month to month. But I do remember collecting GI Joe and Transformer comics. Also, I was intrigued by some of the other Marvel characters. Thor, for example. He appealed to me because of the outright mythological roots, and he just had an Old World kind of appeal, like he represented the past.

I liked the Fantastic Four, as well. And the X-Men in general. Wolverine, of course, but I liked Nightcrawler and Storm and Professor Xavier, as well.

Sometimes, I was able to catch a glimpse of some of the legendary issues and battles from a previous era, such as Hulk versus Wolverine! That one made an impression on me!

The very best, the peak (at least as far as I'm concerned) was Secret Wars! All of those superheroes together in an alien world was just....well, out of this world! Somehow, that series, particularly the original series, really spoke to me in a way that few comics did, or have since.

So, no, I may not be that kind of guy that still goes to comic book stores to get the latest issues of my favorite heroes (although I started to do that for a while when Stephen King began to have those Dark Tower novels translated into comic books). And no, I don't go to comic book conventions. There have been moments when I felt intrigued, and almost ready to attend one. But, in the end, I have not yet gone to a single one, and am not sure I ever will.

But, I do like comic books, and like to leaf through some of those old issues. And I guess I still like watching some of those superhero movies, although I do think they are getting a bit excessive and overdone at this point.

In any case, this looked like an interesting link that should be shared, so, here it is:


75 Most Memorable Moments in Marvel Comics History #10-7  by Brian Cronin | October 1, 2014


http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/01/75-most-memorable-moments-in-marvel-comics-history-10-7/


No comments:

Post a Comment