Saturday, October 25, 2014

Senator Paul Wellstone

"Politics is not about power. Politics is not about money. Politics is not about winning for the sake of winning. Politics is about the improvement of people's lives."
~ Senator Paul Wellstone

Those words ring at least as true today as when Senator Paul Wellstone first uttered them. He was a remarkably independent minded senator from Minnesota, too easily branded an extremist by many.

However, we could use a man like that in office today!

It was no this day, twelve years ago, that Paul Wellstone died in a plane crash. He was with his wife Sheila, his daughter Marcia, three members of his campaign staff, and, of course, the two pilots of the plane.

So, in honor of one of the last, and best, examples of sincerity and straightforwardness in modern-day American politics, I dedicate this post in remembrance.

1 comment:

  1. Although I have a great deal of respect for the late senator - he's one of the few politicians I can think of who doesn't make me sick - I would replace "is not" with "should not be": Politics should not be about power, money, winning for the sake of winning, etc., but in reality it is. I don't even need to go to elaborate lengths to back that up - all I have to do is invite people to take a long hard look at the lion's share of our fearless leaders. Not a pretty picture. I certainly second your sentiment though: he was far more decent and motivated by conviction and ideals than most, and should be remembered accordingly.

    ReplyDelete