Monday, October 20, 2014

Tough Weekend

Okay, so, I really have not been on here much these last few days.

BUT, there is a good reason for it.

I applied for a job as a writer for an online newspaper a few weeks ago. That was nothing new, since I had applied for writing jobs here and there quite a bit over the years. Rarely did I get anything in the way of a response and, in most cases when there was something, it had the rather disheartening message, telling me that they appreciate my interest, but unfortunately...

Well, you know the rest.

In any case, I got an email back, welcoming me to join a pretty touch training program for prospective writers. It would last two weeks, and if I passed all of the tests successfully, the reward would be a job position with them, as well as being a certified writer!

The class was grueling! Classes took place at midday, which meant that I had to forgo my present second job for the duration of the class.

It culminated this past weekend, with a ton of articles due on both days. I mean, a whole bunch of articles, and every detail about the article had to be perfect, including pictures and copyrights and proper credits, as well as quite a few other things, to boot.

This weekend was not much fun. In fact, having worked the overnight shift on Saturday night into Sunday morning, I skipped sleeping altogether, and focused on writing and editing articles, pretty much from the beginning of the day until the end. And I mean from the beginning of the day (actually, Pacific time, which made it 3 o'clock in the morning, until 3 o'clock in the morning early on Monday.

Not fun.

But I made it, and am expected to get my official certification and such soon. Also, I'll be writing for an actual online publication, which is so cool!

So, there are good reasons for my absence and lack of real activity here lately. But I will try and make a point of remedying this in the near future, once I fall back into some kind of regular routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment