Saturday, November 29, 2014

Dreaming of a White Thanksgiving?





You know, wishing for a White Christmas is pretty common place, to the point that there is a famous song about it.

But a white Thanksgiving?

Yet, that is exactly what we had this time around in northern New Jersey, following a surprisingly early winter storm that dropped probably around six to eight inches of the white powder on the landscape in the northern part of the state, and particularly in areas of higher elevation, such as West Milford.

That was where I was heading to enjoy an early Thanksgiving dinner with the family, and as I was driving up, the beauty of the winter wonderland scenes before me were striking, and had me pulling over numerous times to snap some pics, as you can plainly see.

It was an enjoyable, albeit busy, holiday for me. It started with an overnight work shift, followed by the drive to get to my parents home, and taking those pictures. I took a fairly short nap, then woke up with a little bit of time before the meal, in order to spend some time with the family. I was hoping to read a bit of the Percy Jackson book to my son, but instead, thought it might be better, and more opportune to go outside and build a snowman with him and my brother. While it was probably not the most impressive snowman, it was nonetheless a decent one, and we had a fun time while building it. My son kept trying to run into my brother and I in order to knock us down, but he was the one who usually was on the short end of it. We also had some mild snowball fights, and it was a pleasure throughout to hear the sound of a happy child's laughter on such an occasion.

The meal was enjoyable, of course, and complete with all of the standard dishes of a typical American Thanksgiving - turkey, stuffing, candied yams, cranberry sauce, vegetables, pumpkin pie, and some other goodies, as well. There was enough for leftovers as well, which I consumed on Friday for lunch.

In the afternoon, my son left with his mommy to go to the city and enjoy yet another Thanksgiving meal, and from what I understand, he had a good time.

I also had another Thanksgiving meal to go to, so I left shortly after my son did, and headed down to meet my girlfriend, and we went to her close friends, who are almost like her family. We enjoyed yet another meal, and there finally reached a point where I was filled up to the point that another bite was virtually unthinkable. I had made a point of not filling up too much for the earlier meal, trying to save some room for the second one. Towards the end, however, it was just too much, and when I sat on the couch, there was that typical Thanksgiving tradition of fighting fatigue.

The snow made it particularly enjoyable, however. And if you, the reader, celebrated Thanksgiving, hopefully it was as enjoyable as mine. Please feel free to share your experiences or thoughts here, as well!
























No comments:

Post a Comment