Monday, November 3, 2014

The Longest Day of the Year

So, yesterday was the longest day of the year.

Yes, I know, June 21 is supposed to be the longest day of the year, in terms of longevity of daylight.

But November 2 this year was that once a year 25-hour day that marks the end of daylight savings times. So, in reality, it was quite literally the longest day of the year.

Which was fine, because it also happened to be my son's birthday. I got to spend some quality time with him, and felt blessed to see him so happy, as he was opening presents with excitement, eagerly anticipating new gifts immediately after opening others.

Can you remember getting that excited about gifts like that? It has been a while for me, admittedly. But I can indeed recall being that age, and that sense of euphoria that comes over you when you are young and get all of those wonderful toys, and all of that attention. That comes with the understanding that people truly do love you, and I hope my son understands that. It certainly will not always be as magical on such days as it was today.

We were going to do the Chuck E. Cheese thing, which has become kind of a birthday tradition. But, money has been tight all around, so we just celebrated at my parent's place, enjoying pizza for dinner. My mom baked a birthday cake.

I also read to him. We finished the first Percy Jackson book a couple of weeks or so ago, and started the second one. Today, we reached page 50! I should probably write a review of the first book here on this blog.

In any case, there was another event that I shared with my son this weekend - trick or treating on Halloween! He was dressed as a cub scout. He is a cub scout, so it was not exactly a costume, per se, although it worked.

We went all over, until his little lantern pail was filled to the brim with candy. So filled, in fact, that he was complaining about how heavy it was!

Yes, he had a lot of candy, as if he needed it.

But it is a fun tradition that I remember from my own childhood, and this year, there were more trick or treaters out there then I remember seeing in a long, long time - probably since when I was a kid! It came as a pleasant surprise!

In any case, I just thought it was worth sharing, since these things came as a blessing, and I am trying to be more appreciative of such blessings when they come! It seemed fitting to devote an entry to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment