Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014 NFL Regular Season Finale Weekend Predictions

So, yes. Here it is, the end of the 2014 regular season in the NFL. Another year over, and the playoffs are set to begin next weekend, with the final pieces of that puzzle to be set this weekend.

I did my regular predictions, and added links to the articles I wrote earlier this week previewing select games.

Enjoy!



Philadelphia at NY Giants - The Giants are trying to wrap up an otherwise miserable season with their fourth straight win to close it out, and also would like a little bit of payback for the humiliation at the hands of the Eagles in the earlier meeting, when Philly shut them out, 27-0. The Eagles are ice cold, having lost their last three, but they surely want to snap out of that and win their last game, even if the playoffs are not an option. But the Giants should find a way to win. My pick: Giants

Giants and Eagles Look to End Season With Win:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/12/giants-and-eagles-look-to-end-season-with-win/




NY Jets at Miami Dolphins - The Jets have had a truly miserable season, and Miami is not going to be going to the playoffs, either. Still, I like the Dolphins to play well in their finale, although I suspect the Jets will hang tough. All in all, however, Miami is too strong, especially at home, for a chaotic Jets team to expect to overcome. My pick: Miami


Jets Want to End Season With Win:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/12/jets-want-to-end-season-with-win/



Indianapolis at Tennessee  - Can the Titans get at least one more win this season? No. The Colts are coming to town, and still have a chance  -an outside chance - at a playoff bye, or at least the third seed. They want to win, and the Titans just look completely disheveled and disorganized in this lost season. My pick: Indy


Cleveland at Baltimore - A once promising season for the Browns will end with five straight losses. The Ravens will not lose this one, because it means too much for them. They still have a real shot at the playoffs, and they will not drop the ball today against a Browns team that looks like they just want to go home. My pick: Baltimore


Buffalo at New England - This looked like it was going to be a bit of a showdown for a while there. But Buffalo lost last weekend at Oakland, and are now eliminated from the postseason. The Patriots won last weekend, and Denver lost, which meant that New England locked up the top seed without needing to win this weekend. Buffalo will want to win for pride, and to end a bittersweet season on the upswing. I suspect that the Patriots will not have their starters for much of the game, and the Bills will be driven to end their curse in New England. My prediction: Buffalo 


New Orleans at Tampa Bay - This is the NFC South game that nobody really cares about. Neither of these teams are going to the playoffs. The Saints are still the better team, by default. But the Bucs will want to avoid the worst record in the league this season (won't they?), and I have a funny feeling that they will find a way to win. What motivation do the Saints have? Then again, they do have Brees. Still, I will stick with my upset pick. My prediction: Tampa Bay


Chicago at Minnesota - The Vikings can be tough at home, and the Bears have simply had a tough season. Whether Cutler is the quarterback or not, Chicago is troubled going into the offseason. Minnesota, in the meantime, wants to build up for next season, and a win in the final weekend would be a good tonic for them. My pick: Minnesota


Dallas at Washington - A lot riding on this one for Dallas, and Washington will look to play spoiler for the second weekend in a row. Yet, I like the way the Cowboys are playing, and they do kind of remind me of the nineties Cowboys. This is a different team than the failed Dallas teams of recent seasons. Not predicting a Super Bowl or anything here, but the Cowboys should easily have enough to get past Washington. My pick: Dallas


Jacksonville at Houston - The Jaguars have been impressive here and there. So has Houston, but the Texans were still in playoff contention until recently. They will want to win this game and finish the season with a winning record, which they will do with a victory over Jax. J.J. Watts is having an MVP level season, and he deserves that. Look for some big things for him, and for a Texans win. My pick: Houston


San Diego at Kansas City - Playoff implications here. The Chargers will get in simply by winning, while the Chiefs are basically out. Still, KC is a tough place to play, pretty much every time. But you cannot underestimate the drive of how much this means to the Chargers, and I suspect Rivers and Company will find a way to get the job done. My pick: San Diego


Oakland at Denver - Yes, I think the Broncos wrap their playoff bye easily with a decisive, statement victory over Oakland today. The Raiders may have won some games recently, but they still are not a very good team, and remain winless on the road. That won't change today, of course. My pick: Denver


Arizona at San Francisco - This game means a lot to the Cardinals, while the 49ers want to end the season on an up note. Still, Arizona has a tough defense, and the 49ers have been struggling on offense recently (last weekend excepted). Somehow, someway, I suspect the Cardinals will find a way. My pick: Arizona


St. Louis at Seattle - This is it for the Seahawks! They have to win this game to get home field advantage, and the chance at a playoff bye. They need this win, and the Rams are not fighting for anything. Seattle's defense has been absolutely lights out the last few weeks, and I imagine that they will get the job done today, as well. Why not? My pick: Seattle


Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers - The Lions have not won at Lambeau Field in such a long, long time! The last time that they won? Gorbachev has not yet disbanded the Soviet Union. George. H. W. Bush was still president. There were segregated beaches in a South Africa still ruled by a white minority government. Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, and Randall Cunningham were all still elite, active quarterbacks. The Lions had their "Silver Stretch" offense with Herman Moore and Barry Sanders and Erik Kramer. They went 12-4 that season, beating out the Bears by one game, and wound up going to the NFC Championship Game. So far in my lifetime, that is the only time that has happened. But sooner or later, that streak will finally end, right? Let me make a bold prediction, and say that it will somehow end tonight. Packers fans might be shocked, but I will pick the Lions in a huge upset - and another NFC Championship Game appearance this season! My pick: Detroit 


Detroit Lions Hope to End 23 Years of Frustration:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/12/detroit-lions-hope-to-end-23-years-of-frustration/



Carolina at Atlanta - This is for the NFC South division title. The winner moves on to host a playoff game next weekend, and the loser goes home. The Panthers are absolutely hot, while the Falcons have home field advantage. It should be a tight and interesting game, but I think the game being played in Atlanta should be the decided. My pick: Atlanta


NFC South Showdown Between Weak Teams Set for Sunday:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/12/nfc-south-showdown-between-weak-teams-set-for-sunday/



Cincinnati at Pittsburgh - I really hope that the Bengals win this one, because I simply do not want to see a low class human being like "Big Ben" Roethlisberger enjoy undeserved success. Yet, somehow, I get the sense that the Bengals big win came last week, when they clinched a playoff berth. They might win, but I get the sense that they won't Hope I'm wrong! My pick: Pittsburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment