Thursday, December 18, 2014

2014 NFL Week 16 Preview

Dallas looks like they have a real shot at going 8-0 on the road, as their last road game this regular season will be at Washington, which is a very winnable game for them. I may be getting ahead of myself here but, historically speaking, if the Cowboys manage to win that game, as they surely are expected to do, and complete a perfect season on the road, then that puts them in good company. Most teams that manage the feat in recent seasons go far in the playoffs, and I cannot think of one example where a team that achieved it failed to reach the Conference Championship Game, at the very least.

1968 Dallas Cowboys, who eventually lost on the road in Green Bay. The 1968 Baltimore Colts, who made it to the Super Bowl, but lost. The 1989 49ers, who won the Super Bowl. The 1990 49ers, who lost in the NFC Championship Game - but in San Francisco. The 2001 St. Louis Rams, who made it to the Super Bowl, but lost to the New England Patriots. It should be noted that while the 2007 Giants were not unbeaten on the road, they only lost their opening road game, before running the tables on the road the rest of the way and winning straight through to the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots.

Tennessee at Jacksonville (Thur.) - What a match-up to wind the disappointing Thursday Night Football games, huh? Two of the weakest teams in the league meet in one of the least attractive games of the season. Somebody has to win this, right? I'm guessing that it will be Jacksonville, although who can really tell? My pick: Jacksonville

Philadelphia at Washington (Sat) - Philly needs to win this, although their confidence has to be shaken up after that devastating loss to Dallas. However, if what they achieved last season and earlier this season is real, then they should be able to get the road victory against a weak Washington team. My pick: Philadelphia

San Diego at San Francisco (Sat) - This would have been seen as a major showdown earlier this season, even a couple of weeks ago. But both teams are reeling after consecutive losses (three, in the 49ers case). Still, the Chargers have a shot to qualify for the playoffs, and I suspect that they will find a way to win in hostile San Francisco. My pick: San Diego

New England at NY Jets - Jets just got a big road win at Tennessee. What better way to follow that up then with a game against the elite Patriots, who look like the best team in the AFC at least, and potentially the NFL? New England should win this in a breeze. My pick: New England

Cleveland at Carolina - The Panthers are at home, and they really need this. I don't know if Newton is playing or not, but I suspect that the Browns will be dispirited, and they certainly have their own quarterback issues to worry about. These are as ideal circumstance for the Panthers as possible. My pick: Carolina

Atlanta at New Orleans  - Here is the big showdown in the Big Easy. The Falcons obviously need this win to keep their playoff hopes alive by winning the division. I think they have a good shot, since New Orleans seems horrible at home this season, for some reason. But still, somehow, I suspect the Saints will find a way. My pick: New Orleans

Green Bay at Tampa Bay - The battle of the bays. I do not think the Packers are going to drop a second straight surprise loss in a row. They have a weaker opponent, and the determination to keep pace with the Lions, who will come to Lambeau, where they have not won in over two decades, for a winner takes all showdown on the final weekend. Look for the Packers to blow this thing wide open early, and get a relatively easy win against Tampa. My pick: Green Bay

Detroit at Chicago - The Lions absolutely need this victory to keep pace with the Packers for the division, as well as simply to increase their chances of making the playoffs. Road game or not, Detroit should have enough to impose their will against the Bears in Chicago. My pick: Detroit

Kansas City at Pittsburgh - Big game! Although the Chiefs are almost out of it, the Steelers have everything to fight for. They should be determined, and it is hard imagining them having a let down at Pittsburgh, although you never know. Still, KC is not the best road team, to say the least. My pick: Kansas City

Minnesota at Miami -The Dolphins have disappointed this season, and are coming off a blowout loss at New England that effectively ended their playoff hopes. Minnesota comes into town with a lot of issues themselves, and that makes for an interesting, although largely irrelevant, game. I imagine the Dolphins will play for pride, and pull this one off. My pick: Miami

Baltimore at Houston - The Ravens are playing well lately, and they go on the road to visit the Texans in Houston, who can be pretty tough. I suspect the Ravens will struggle to win, but ultimately, this is too big a game for them to afford to lose. Look for them to barely squeak by a tough road game, getting it done in the final quarter. My pick: Baltimore

NY Giants at St. Louis - My Giants have likely won their last game for this season already against Washington last weekend. Going to St. Louis, to take on the toughest, stingiest defense in the NFL this month of December, since at least Thanksgiving? With their offensive issues? I think it will be the Rams convincingly, although I hate to say it. My pick: St. Louis

Buffalo at Oakland - Buffalo needs this, and it is on the road, but against a weak opponent. If the Bills show anywhere near the determination as they did in earlier games, they should easily have enough to win this contest, which they absolutely need to keep their shaky playoff hopes alive. My pick: Buffalo

Indianapolis at Dallas - Good game! Hard to tell who has the advantage here. My instincts tell me Indianapolis, although the Cowboys are hard to figure out this season. Still, this game is too important for them, while the Colts already locked up their division. So, I suspect the Cowboys win it in a squeaker. My pick: Dallas

Seattle at Arizona - What a game this is going to be! Two of the best defenses, an old style football game, a defensive battle between conservative, smash mouth football teams for prime time! This one is likely, de facto, for the NFC West. It will be tight, but the way the Seahawks are playing, especially on defense, coupled with Arizona's offensive issues, particularly at quarterback, give Seattle the edge. And that can, and I suspect should, prove the difference. My pick: Seattle

Denver at Cincinnati - The Broncos have been remarkably consistent the last few seasons, while the Bengals are infamously inconsistent. The Bengals can ill afford to lose this, but if the Broncos want to reach the Super Bowl, they may need home field advantage, which means this game would be crucial for them. I suspect that, somehow, the Broncos find a way to get it done in Cincy, and I see the Bengals collapsing right at the end, again. My pick: Denver



http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/nfl-s-greatest-teams-to-not-win-the-super-bowl-1-20-012714

http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/nfl-s-greatest-teams-to-not-win-the-super-bowl-21-40-012714


No comments:

Post a Comment