Tuesday, December 30, 2014

TOMBSTONE

Tombstone is just one of those films.

It was and remains immensely popular among some crowds, with a strong and loyal cult following, and I will admit to liking it quite a bit myself. Not even entirely sure why, and I know that, on some level, it's greatly exaggerated and even stupid, at times.

Still, I guess you can call it a guilty pleasure for me.

The first time that I saw the movie was actually in the theaters with a bunch of friends, if memory serves correctly. Being younger, it made an impression on me, and perhaps on some level, watching that movie takes me back a little bit to my own more youthful days.

There was a period of years when I went without seeing this movie, which used to fascinate me when I was younger, back in the nineties.

But then, fairly recently, it came on again. It was on tv, and I decided to watch it. And once again, I found myself enjoying myself to a surprising degree while watching it. Then, with the benefit of the internet, I did some research, and found out that a lot of the events portrayed in the movie actually happened! Surely, they did not happen the way that the movie portrayed it, but still, it is an impressive series of events that happened, and rocked the world, essentially!

In any case, yes, I love the movie. Call it a guilty pleasure, if you will. But I like Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday, and Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp. This was one of the few westerns that I really kind of loved, and it was one from my generation, if you will.

See if you agree!

Here it is, available on Youtube, as well as a clip that reveals the memorable exchange in Latin between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo:












No comments:

Post a Comment