Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lazy Winter Day

Okay, so I am having an incredibly lazy day!

Just woke up from an unexpected nap, and realized that I had not done much of anything today. Woke up early, and usually, I like to get things done early, too. But instead, I just kind of lounged around, catching up on the 12 Monkeys series, and having a relatively late breakfast.

I did go out a bit, just to pick up some things at the Polish Deli, then to Cablevision to pay the monthly bill, before the snow fell.

We ordered some food in from a place that my girlfriend recommended, and have been sitting and watching television for most of the day since.

Oh, except for that nap.

Perhaps I needed it. Really, I have been feeling unusually tired, almost worn out recently. My suspicions are for the winter, which started off here quite mildly, with minimal snow in December and most of January.

But then, we began to hit a stretch where we got snow once every few days, and this seems to be getting extended week by week. I know that, now, the winter really is coming to an end, and that it is now just around a week away from March.

At the moment, however, it just feels exhausting, as we watch yet another snow storm dump more of the white stuff on us. Later, it is expected to be hail, which is far worse. I will take measurable snow any day over ice.

Then again, at least we are not Boston! Or Buffalo! Remember that Boston hit a stretch where they got four separate snow falls that dumped snow measured in feet within the span of two or so weeks on them, and some snow in between. They had so much snow, that they did not even know what to do with it all! And Buffalo late last year got pounded with two massive snow storms in quick succession that dumped up to seven feet of snow in some parts of the greater Buffalo area!

So, I probably do not have the right to complain.

It's just that, there reaches a point where it grows tiresome. When you just get sick of seeing the roads white with crushed salt, when you get tired of walking carefully on sidewalks that have a layer of ice on them, and when the temperatures are painfully cold, well below just freezing.

Indeed, the days are getting longer, and noticeably so, at that. It was a bit after six in the evening the other day, and I noticed that it was not really even fully dark. And March is often one of my favorite times of the year, once we reach the point when it seems unlikely that we will get another snowfall or, failing that, when it seems unlikely that we will get any significant accumulations, because it is getting too warm.

Still, that's a bit off into the future yet.

It just would be nice to go outside and not have to bundle up. Not have to wear boots because anything else would get covered in snow, and then that would eventually get in my shoes, melt, and make for wet socks. Not have to go to my car and see all of the gray dust and salt from the slushy roads on it.

Right now, I long for a nice hike in the woods, and see some greenery. Perhaps even build up a sweat. But just to be able to wear regular, comfortable clothes. Sneakers or hiking shoes. Perhaps do some camping with my son, build a fire. Or, just sit on a lawn chair on our little deck, and read a book.

Anything, but to see the daylight draining out of yet another day that feels wasted, because we could not go to the park, or to the woods, and enjoy the day. Perhaps play a little tennis, or maybe basketball. Perhaps even have a little picnic, or barbecue.

This winter, there reached a point where I essentially stopped doing my daily walking, which is part of my exercise regimen. I do not remember such an extended winter when I felt so lazy, on an everyday basis. I'm sure it will take a lot to burn off the extra calories.

I happened to glance at myself in the bathroom mirror after that nap, and saw dark circles that look unusually pronounced under my eyes. I look as tired as I feel, and cannot remember the last time that I had a day feeling extremely well rested.

For whatever the reason, this winter has been more draining than most. And it's not just me saying that. It seems to be everybody.

Last winter was worse for me. It felt worse, because it was so freaking cold, and there was so much snow from beginning right through to around this time last year (it mostly ended in February at some point). Also, I got eliminated from a job (all part-timers there did), and was facing some hardships that were unusual at the time, and which I am still feeling today.

No, this winter has not been as bad. Yet, I find myself more than ever just wanting it to end, and let the spring begin, and rejoicing whenever birds are chirping in the trees, and at any other signs of the upcoming spring.

Like most at this point, I am just waiting for the spring to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment