Monday, February 9, 2015

RIP, Andre Brink

Rest in Peace to Andre Brink, anti-apartheid activist and noted South African author.

Slowly but surely, those anti-apartheid activists are dying off. It is hard to believe, but it has been well over two decades now since the end of white minority government and the apartheid regime in South Africa.

It was such a long and difficult struggle, and whatever problems South Africa now faces, progress was undeniably made when apartheid, and all forms of racist legislation, were abolished in South Africa.

Let me just say that I cannot lie: I never read one of Brink's books. I have read numerous other authors and books from and about South Africa, including Alan Paton, Mark Mathabane, J.M. Coetzee, and Alastair Sparks, among others. The country always was a source of fascination to me, both during the apartheid era, and in the post-apartheid period. But no, I never did read Andre Brink, although perhaps I will try and do so in the near future.

In any case, here is honoring an anti-apartheid activist who just recently passed away. May he rest in peace.


South African anti-apartheid author Andre Brink dies by AFP, February 7, 2015:

http://news.yahoo.com/south-african-anti-apartheid-author-andre-brink-dies-161206289.html


No comments:

Post a Comment