Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Rare Occurrence

Indeed, this is a rare occurrence.

However, I must say that I ran into this article which focused on President Jimmy Carter's belief that only Netanyahu, essentially, is to blame for stalling the peace process, and that Hamas leaders desire peace. In other words, Hamas leaders truly want peace, and only Netanyahu, and those who support him, stand in the way of peace.

As much as I agree that the present Israeli administration of Netanyahu deserves criticism, and harsh criticism at that, I cannot agree that Hamas seems to seriously, legitimately want peace.

In the last conflict, missiles were sent within minutes of a ceasefire agreement officially ending, and those missiles came from Hamas. That hardly is the sign of a peace-loving people.

Many Palestinians want the world to pay attention to their plight, and to pressure Israel into backing off a bit, and giving them some breathing room.

While I agree this would be good, I also feel that Hamas should be pressured into backing down from their unbending, militant stance, as well. Until it does, and until the Palestinian people themselves recognize that the militant stance of Hamas is a huge part of the problem, and also recognize the right of Israel as a state to continue to exist and live in peace, then things are unlikely to change, much less improve.

For once, I disagree with Jimmy Carter, which really does not happen often. But it just seems that I cannot bring myself to agree with him on this one issue.




Carter says Hamas leader committed to peace, Netanyahu not BY TIMES OF ISRAEL STAFF AND AFP May 2, 2015:

No comments:

Post a Comment