Thursday, May 7, 2015

Islanders Home Really Gone Now

Well, this was basically inevitable, was it not?

Nassau Coliseum, the home of the New York Islanders for over four decades, and where the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups, and went to a fifth straight Stanley Cup Finals series.

It has been a while since the Islanders were that good, back in the early eighties.

But I took my son to a game a few years ago, on November of 2011, against the Winnipeg Jets. We had seats right on the ice, and one Jets player even took a moment during warm-ups to send a puck over the ice to give to my son. Funnily enough, my son (then five years old) did not understand the gesture, and wanted to send it back over the glass!

LOL!

Anyway, I have some other pleasant (and one not so pleasant) memory of the place. I think that I went to another Islanders game there once, although it was a long time ago, but I believe it was against the Montreal Canadiens.

I have seen a few concerts there, as well. The first was Motley Crew, with Cheap Trick as the opener. Honestly, I will admit to being disappointed with Motley Crew in that show.

In 2003, I saw Pearl Jam there, in what would prove to be an infamous show, and the only one that I saw (or really know of) where the band was essentially booed off the stage. It was very tense, as they took a stand against President George W. Bush, and this made for a memorable night indeed!

Most recently, I took my brother there to see Roger Waters perform 'The Wall' in 2010, in one of the original venues where 'The Wall' was performed by Pink Floyd back in 1980.

There may (or may not) have been an Ozzy concert that I attended there, with Pantera as one of the opening acts, and members of Type O Negative in attendance and sitting up on stage, invited by members of Pantera during their set. That said, I am cannot really remember if that was at Nassau Coliseum specifically anymore, although I believe that it was.

In any case, even though my own memories at this arena were limited to a handful of events, it held a certain charm and accessibility on a level that the much bigger and flashier Barclays Center does not possess, at least not presently.

So, here's to Nassau Coliseum!


End of an era - Ice removed from Nassau Coliseum for last time Bruce Bennett, May, 2015:

No comments:

Post a Comment