Friday, May 22, 2015

Playoff Time in the NBA & NHL - Yawn!

Okay, maybe I am prejudiced, but I do not recall a less exciting time for the combined playoffs of the NHL and the NBA.

Canadian teams fared poorly in these playoffs, the Islanders got knocked out in the first round, and the Devils did not even make it.

I know, I know-  I live in the greater New York metropolitan area, and the New York Rangers are still very much alive. Actually, I am rooting for them, too.

But the Tampa Bay Lightning look surprisingly good, and right now, it will be a tremendous challenge for the Rangers to come back and win. Even if they do, they still will have likely an even tougher challenge waiting for them in the Stanley Cup Finals, as the Blackhawks and Anaheim are fighting it out in the West.

The thing is, I honestly am tired of these supposed "success" story, Southern expansion teams who are popular while they make runs like the Ducks and Lightning are making now, but are largely forgotten before and after. Sorry, but I just cannot get excited with either of those two teams.

So, both those teams are leading their series, and it just feels....well, boring. If those two teams make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, then it might end up being the first time in many years when I would have the ability to watch the Cup Finals, but would opt not to due to total lack of interest. It would not matter to me at all whether the Ducks or Lightning hoist the Cup for a second time in their franchise history. Could not care less.

And the NBA playoffs have actually had some exciting games and series. I would like to see Cleveland win an NBA championship despite LeBron James, who I still think has a classless and arrogant side. If they win, James should stay in Cleveland and finish out his career there - no excuses anymore, as far as I am concerned.

If it is not the Cavaliers, then it would be pretty cool seeing the Golden State Warriors take the championship, or even the Atlanta Hawks, although I somehow doubt it will be Atlanta. You never know, though, right?

Yet, I will admit something here: I have not been nearly as interested in these playoffs as in years past. The best thing that I can say about these NBA playoffs so far: no Lakers.

Unless the Rockets come way back to astonish everyone and win this series, it looks like it will finally be a new team taking the title. A team that we have not seen before hoisting the trophy, which would be cool.

But I find myself missing the days of Reggie Miller burning the Knicks in the spring playoffs, or the days of MJ and the Bulls. Even the Rockets, those two years that they won it. It just felt so much more exciting and fast-paced, somehow, and it feels like something is lacking this year.

Same with the NHL. There were years where I really watched it, really followed the playoffs religiously. But as soon as the Canadiens and Flames were knocked out, pretty much all interest was lost on my end.

Maybe it is just that I am getting older.

The Warriors are exciting and vibrant, and the prospect of Cleveland finally getting a title would be huge. I hope that those two teams make it to the NBA Finals, but we shall see. Maybe I will get fired up for that series.

All I know is that, for now, it just has not felt nearly as exciting as I had hoped for either sport, especially hockey.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I certainly agree with you regarding the NHL playoffs - Tampa Bay vs. Anaheim, which seems to be the likely scenario, bores me to tears as well. But with the NBA, it looks as though it's going to be Cleveland vs. Golden State, which would be a refreshing change either way, as I see it. It's not like anybody can say "Christ, not THESE guys again" about the Cavaliers or the Warriors. And frankly, the latter are starting to look so good it's scary. They just beat the Rockets by 31 if memory serves - IN HOUSTON, no less. Stephen Curry has been looking unstoppable. It's beginning to look like a changing of the guard in the NBA. As for Atlanta, they were unlucky to lose one of their key players - a starter. From what I gather they've fought hard, but without a full and healthy line-up it's just too tall an order for them.

    ReplyDelete