Sunday, August 23, 2015

Update From Flagstaff, Arizona

Okay, so here I am at Flagstaff, Arizona.

Right now, it is just about 10:30pm local time. This is the first real opportunity that I had to access the internet on a regular computer, where I can do my normal typing on a keyboard, which I am far more comfortable with than a cell phone, lap top, or notebook.

This has been an incredibly eventful trip thus far, although I suspect that it will really start to calm down after today. To this point, however, it has been an incredible blur of marathon drives and a bunch of huge experiences and places.

Our flight out to Phoenix, scheduled for 7:29 takeoff, was cancelled. That was pretty annoying, as was the wait at the desk to try and make other accommodations was the better part of an hour. The place where they made the changes had the dubious name of Door 5. It hardly sounded inviting, although apparently, it simply meant that this was the fifth entrance for that particular terminal (Newark Terminal C).

Eventually, however, after searching numerous possibilities and different destinations to serve as layovers, we found the one that would get us to Phoenix as early as possible, which is what I wanted.

The original flight was slated to land at 9:55am. Now, we would be arriving roughly at 1:30pm. The layover was in Las Vegas, and that was a bit of an experience. I did not realize that the airport was so close to the famous downtown strip of Vegas. From the air and the runway, as well as the airport, we could pretty much see everything - the big tower that they have there, as well as the smaller scale Eiffel Tower (which in my opinion is not nearly as attractive as the real thing, for a variety of reasons). We saw the pyramid and the Sphinx, the MGM Grand, and some other stuff. Hell, I figured what would it hurt to play the slots once (they have them at the airport). My son wanted me to, and he wanted with anticipation as I lost the dollar, then waled away.

We also got lunch there, a really ridiculously overpriced lunch of nearly $30, for nothing. At least they threw in a souvenir Vegas bag as part of the "bargain."

Later for all of that. I will write more about this excursion to Vegas, as well as the rest of the trip, at a later point in time, when my son and I get back east.

But there were delays, and eventually, we got to Phoenix around 3:00pm or so.

Annoying, yes, but nothing could be done about it.

We went to the rental car place, braving the excessive heat to do so. Picked up our car, and then I tried to race down towards Nogales, Mexico. Being so close to the border, and never having been to Mexico (but always wanted to go), I wanted to make every effort to get there. We made it, but only could stay for a few hours. Plenty of picks, and I will write more in details on it, again at a later time.

We then headed for Sierra Vista, to our hotel. It was close to Tombstone, and that was what we visited the next day, after a decent swimming session at the hotel's pool.

Strange weather, but Tombstone was a lot of fun, and I look forward to elaborating on that, also in the future.

Made it to a Cardinals-Chargers football game (total price of the game, including parking, was well under $59!).

Afterwards, drove to Flagstaff, and the differences in temperatures that we experienced yesterday were unlike anything that I have ever experienced before.

So, we woke up in Flagstaff this morning, had our nice breakfast, which is included in the very nice hotel that I booked online. It is the Hotel Aspen, where I am writing this from now. If you ever stay in Flagstaff, I recommend booking this place online in advance, because it really seems to be worth it. Heated pool, heated spa, good, hearty breakfast, nice, comfortable rooms, obviously free access to the internet, and very friendly service. No complaints at all thus far, with anyone or anything. Much better than the one we stayed at in Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca.

After breakfast, we swam in the heated pool, and then headed off towards the main destination for the trip: the Grand Canyon.

Spent all day there until it grew dark, basically.

Now, we are back in Flagstaff. My son is sleeping in the room, and so I decided to sneak away and write this, after telling him I was coming here.

But I do not want to be gone for too long, so it is probably time to start wrapping this up now.

Hope everyone is doing okay, and again, stay tuned! I will try to post pictures up very shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment