Friday, September 11, 2015

Alternative Super Bowl L Predictions






Yesterday, I made my official Super Bowl prediction. For what it is worth, I predicted that, ultimately, the Green Bay Packers and Indianapolis Colts, the two teams that lost last year's Championship Games, would meet in San Francisco for Super Bowl L (I still want to use the Roman numerals for this Super Bowl because, frankly, I do not see any sense in the NFL switching to the Arabic numerals for just this one Super Bowl). I went on to predict that the Packers would defeat the Colts, and I see them pulling away somewhere in the second half, as I do not see a thrilling, last-second kind of a game, like we saw last year.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe Green Bay's best chance at repeating their Super Bowl XLV title came last season, and ended in a historically huge disappointment with that stunning loss at Seattle. Furthermore, maybe Luck and Co. were a bit lucky in last year's postseason. They won an easy division, and perhaps the only thing preventing the AFC South from being considered the worst division in the NFL are the Colts, because these teams were otherwise probably not much better than their counterparts in the NFC South. So, perhaps the Colts earned a home game (which they won) off the strength of that east schedule, and then got extremely lucky when the Denver Broncos, and Peyton Manning in particular, had a very bad day.

In other words, my predictions could be wrong. And without trying to sound like I am cheating a bit here, I usually like to give my second favorite pick for the Super Bowl, not including either team from my first pick. After all, you never know what is going to happen. If some kind of an injury were to sideline either Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers (he was sidelined for a stretch of a season two years ago, and the Packers seriously faltered without him), then everything changes, right?

So, I will choose my alternative teams to qualify for the Super Bowl this season.

In the event that the Packers do not win the top seed and home field advantage throughout the NFC Playoffs, I will go ahead and pick the Seahawks to three-peat as NFC Champions. In the AFC, my second pick should Indianapolis prove more vulnerable than expected would be the Baltimore Ravens. There is just something about the Ravens that I think makes them dangerous, and they should prove to be really good this season!

Finally, in a Super Bowl between those two teams in San Francisco, I like the determination of the Seahawks to carry them to a Super Bowl title, finally allowing some people to forget (if not exactly forgive) the stinging, infamous memory of the ridiculous 2nd and 1 in last year's Super Bowl. The Seahawks should have stronger motivation than almost any team in recent memory to have a very solid season this year, and I certainly would not put it past them to represent the NFC for a record third straight season in this year's Super Bowl.

There you have it. My alternative pick for this coming Super Bowl would be the Seattle Seahawks defeating (probably narrowly) the Baltimore Ravens.

No comments:

Post a Comment