Friday, September 11, 2015

Another Anniversary of the September 11th Attacks

Well, it is September 11th again.

Hard to believe that it has been 14 years since that unbelievable day.

I was driving earlier this evening, and saw the twin light beams rising in the night sky, from where the Twin Towers used to stand.

The memory of that day lives on among many people, myself included. At the time, I was unemployed and living at home with my parents (although married). Earlier that year, I had graduated college, but had not found a job yet. It was depressing, and the events of that day certainly did not serve to cheer me up any. In fact, that autumn of 2001 is one of the most depressing chapters that I can remember, personally.

September 11th also happens to be my parents birthday, so everyone in the family was home at the time. In fact, we were discussing the plans to celebrate their 30th anniversary, when my mom went into the bedroom to watch some television. She returned almost immediately, and said that something had happened at the Twin Towers again. Since she worded it in that manner, which brought to mind the earlier terrorist incident in 1993 (now largely forgotten, obviously overshadowed by the September 11th attacks), I immediately assumed it was a terrorist attack, even before the second plane hit.

I knew that this was a huge news event, and quite possibly, our generation's "where were you when" moment, kind of like the JFK assassination had been that moment for my parents, where everyone remembered exactly where they were when they first heard the news.

Also, there was the realization that this would dominate the news for a long time to come, although I did not know just yet for how long, and how much the world would change. Who could have known that these attacks would lead to multiple wars, as well as other crimes committed, allegedly in the name of fighting the "Global War on Terrorism?"

Norman Mailer said that he did not believe that 9/11 was a right-wing conspiracy, although they capitalized on it so quickly, and in such a manner, that it was understandable that people could believe that they were. As a nation, we had the sympathy of much of the rest of the world after September 11th, but squandered that with the pursuit of blind vengeance against people in a country that had nothing to do with the attacks.

In any case, on this anniversary, I wanted to share some of my thoughts and memories of that fateful day, as well as remember the heroic efforts of the first responders, both alive and dead. Also, to remember the nearly 3,000 victims on that day, as well as the memory of the hundreds of thousands who died in unnecessary wars indirectly following it.

The following is a link to some of the reactions in other countries following the September 11th attacks:


How 9/11 Was Displayed In Non-American Countries. This Is Eye-Opening. published by Tickld:

No comments:

Post a Comment