Saturday, September 26, 2015

Arizona Trip Wrap Up










It has now been one month to the day since we departed Arizona and returned to our lives here in New Jersey. I remember feeling a bit depressed as we headed out, the road trip over. It would likely be no earlier than next year before we take a fairly lengthy road trip again somewhere, and this one had stood out for all of the right reasons.

There are some things from the trip that we will likely remember. Some good, some bad.

One of the disappointments occurred at the Grand Canyon, while my son and I sat down to eat lunch. My legs were feeling tired. Hell, I think the exhaustion of running around all over the place in the days before was catching up with me, and I was feeling drained, and in need of some kind of sustenance. So, we found a little sandwich shop inside of Grand Canyon village, and ate outside. And as we were eating, as were some other people, when I saw the male half of one old couple get up after finishing, and simply leaving his wrapper right where he ate. There was a trash can not ten feet away, but he could not be bothered. Things like that bother me, and I said something under my breath when they passed, although I am not entirely certain the guy heard, or even would have understood that it was aimed at him if he did hear. Plus, I had to keep such behavior in check while I had my son. But it bothered me a lot, and reminded me of the time after attending the Live Earth concert at Giants Stadium in 2007, and seeing more trash than usual both in the seating area, as well as in the parking lots, which were heavily littered with beer cans and bottles and other crap. Both incidents were just so antagonistic to the spirit of what this was supposed to be about - greater environmental awareness (and awareness of the Earth in general) with the concert (and the Grand Canyon), and with an incredible natural wonder for the other.

There may have been other disappointments, but that one stood out in a particularly depressing manner, because it seems that these days, there really is a lack of reverence, a lack of simple respect and good manners, even at some of the most sacred places in the world.

Ultimately, that did not define the trip. We both enjoyed it, and it was a real, wild west experience. my son's favorite highlight was Tombstone, while for me it was the Grand Canyon. But I also simply enjoyed driving around the unfamiliar state, and admiring the unique landscape. This was a trip where we were immersed in both cowboy and Indian culture, and that was really cool! My son got what he wanted by adding some cool looking rocks to his growing collection, while I got the chance to get the both of us to see something entirely new, and entirely unique, compared to everything else that we had experienced beforehand.










































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment