Monday, September 7, 2015

My Son and I Enjoy The Last Weekend of Summer Before School Resumes


Before you know it, summer comes and summer goes.

So it was this year, as well. A long winter finally melted away, and a new and energetic spring burst into summer.

It was an eventful summer, for that matter. Thankfully, this was especially true for my son.

He spent much of his time at Camp YawPaw, for the second year in a row, and still loves it there.

We also got to visit the Camden Aquarium with a friend, and of course, we took that trip out west, to Arizona, with a side excursion into Nogales, Mexico, for one afternoon/evening. While out there, we got to visit the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, the southwestern desert in general, and of course, my son's personal favorite - Tombstone.

I took him to see a couple of preseason games, which was nice. I could not really bring him last year, since it was a tough year for me, having lost one job of almost 11 years. So, it was nice to take him this year, and the summer preseason games generally tend to be much more affordable.

Now, this weekend, it was time to wrap the summer up. However, it was also a weekend when I had to start regular weekend shifts at a new job. That means a lot less freedom, and a lot less time to do things.

Still, my son is starting school on Wednesday, which meant that we both had Monday, Labor Day, off. I needed to sleep a bit after working the overnight shift, but got up early in the afternoon, and went looking for a barber that might be open, so that he could start the school year with a fresh, new haircut.

Nobody was open, which was not a terrible surprise, or anything.

So, we headed for Wawayanda no long after that, and got to spend a good few hours enjoying the outdoors. We swam, and then enjoyed time at the makeshift beach. I read a bit, and he played in the sand. After a while, he came up to me and asked if I would like to bury him in the sand, and although it would get his swimming trunks dirty, it seemed harmless enough, and a fun way to close out the summer.

That is what we did, and here are some pictures from one last, fun summer weekend, before we both get too caught up in the grind once again:




We enjoy a bit of silliness here. I kind of had a tradition in recent years of taking seaweed and placing it on my son's head, then proclaiming "Hail, Caesar!" He sometimes did the same to me, and at first, it bothered him. But by the end of this summer, he seemed to actually be enjoying it. It seemed like something worth getting pictures of, so here they are. He looks more like a reggae guy, though, then a Roman Emperor. But it's all good, mon. 






The sun was going down on a fun day at Wawayanda. We stayed until it was pretty much almost dark, and bats were flying around. We were among the last ones at the park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment