Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Soundgarden Members Say Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Can Wait


Members of Soundgarden certainly do not sound like they are sweating the snub of the band by the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, which has not yet set them up as nominees, let alone inducted them into a new class, even though they clearly belong as one of the most influential bands of the nineties and beyond.

Here is some of what two of the original and most iconic members had to say about it:

Chris Cornell:

“It’s not something that I’m in a hurry for. It might just be my personal perspective, but I’ve seen a lot of bands get inducted that are defunct or there are several dead members or something like that. To me, it feels like something that should be more of like in the category of a gold watch. And I’m not ready for a gold watch, yet.”

Kim Thayill:

“It’s not a particular objective or goal of mine, so I could take it or leave it. I imagine from what I’ve heard from friends, they say it’s really a lot of fun for fans, they say the fans get excited about it. The opportunity to meet and play with your peers, and maybe some heroes. That is probably the exciting thing about it, but seriously it’s kind of a strange accolade. It’s not like you have achieved something superior in performance like a baseball player, like the baseball Hall of Fame.

[The Hall of Fame is kind of like] where you achieve commercial success, durable commercial success. Well that already is rewarded monetarily, and it’s rewarded with plaques or whatever. So you have a Hall of Fame for people who made a lot of money for other people? That’s what it ends up being, but people I know who have experienced this say the best part about it is working with other musicians, to be able to play with those musicians, and they regard the enthusiasm that the fans have for that experience. So, I think for that reason, you make a lot of people happy and you can have some new experiences, that would be a great thing for us to do. But I’m not going to lose sleep over it, because I think [of] our days [as] make music, make records, and play our songs.”

Be that as it may, it still does not change the fact that Soundgarden, and other original "grunge" bands have been snubbed (at least a little bit) by the decided lack of respect from not being inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.


Here is the link to the article from which I took the quotes used above:

Chris Cornell Isn’t Ready For Soundgarden’s Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame Induction by Brett Buchanan - Oct 13, 2015:

No comments:

Post a Comment