Tuesday, January 5, 2016

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reviews That Are Less Than Glowing






Not everyone who saw The Force Awakens was overly impressed.

I heard some criticisms that argued that this particular movie lacked any originality. And frankly, I can see that criticism as having some measure of legitimacy. There are numerous themes, even some lines, that are at least echoes, if not outright quotes taken, from other Star Wars films, such as when Leia knows that there is good in her son, Kylo Ren. I mean, the entire movie is basically another version of the same overall storyline from the first trilogy, borrowing from each movie - but particularly the first two.

Still, the review below by Michael Hiltzik seems kind of harsh, as he says the movie stinks.

Now, I have to admit that I was not as thrilled about it after the first viewing as I had hoped to be. That said, it was better the second time around, when I knew what to expect and could concentrate on the actual story, instead of trying simply to see and hear and get everything that was going on. Also, my son absolutely loved the movie both times we watched it, and that means something to me. It was such a pleasure to turn and see him watching the movie, eyes glued to the screen. He was really into it as only a young child can be, and he said afterwards that it was his favorite movie of all time, even if he seems to be minimizing that glowing review a bit now.

However, seeing his reaction reminded me of how much I loved Star Wars as a kid, and I think that is the most important thing, to keep that tradition alive. I think the whole Star Wars saga is the best thing that we have in the movies, and amounts to an American mythology of sorts. So, I welcome this new movie, and the new generation of fans that it is and will continue to generate.

But that does not mean it is above reproach. Criticism is important, and this movie probably deserves some measure of criticism, although I would not go so far as to suggest, as Hiltzik does in the column below (see link), that the movie as a whole "stinks."

Take a look, and see what you think:


Column Admit it: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' stinks -- and here's why by Michael Hiltzik, January 5, 2015:


No comments:

Post a Comment