Friday, February 5, 2016

Strange Snowstorm

The weather in the greater New York/ New Jersey metropolitcan area has become crazy in recent years, and I do not believe that there have been many greater or more obvious examples of that than in the last few days.

Two days ago, it was unseasonably warm, to the point that you hardly needed a jacket when you went outside and, if you did, you certainly did not need a heavy winter coat. It has been like that for a few days.

Yesterday, it got cooler, although still, much milder than you might expect for a February day and night, given the traditionally cold weather location.

I had heard it was going to stick around, more or less.

But then, at some point yesterday, they were talking about possible snow overnight. Then, it was snow accumulations, with a bit of hail or sleet before the snow fell.

Before long, they were predicting a messy commute, but it seemed that it would be a quick moving storm.

And then as the night grew on, the weather proved more severe than the experts had predicted. The roads were slippery and a nightmare, and schools closed, including my son's school. The school system that I worked at, however, did not even have a delay.

As this morning progressed, the snowstorm grew in severity. They had predicted it would clear out by noon, but they had also predicted that this storm would not be a big deal. So, as it just kept snowing and getting messy, it was all too easy picturing an annoying commute back home after work.

Just when it felt like this was going to come to pass, the weather lifted, the sun came out, and you could actually hear the snow and ice melting from the trees and falling to the ground as the temperature suddenly started rising rapidly.

By the time that school let out, my car was clear. I had assumed that I would need to scrape the ice and snow from my windshields, but there was nothing left of all of that snow. When I went to go pick up my son (I have him this weekend), the roads looked almost completely cleared of any traces of snow, even on the sides of the roads at time.

All in one day! That's crazy!

I am not going to say that this is a sure sign of global warming. But it feels so unnatural, so unusual, and that does not feel right. It feels like it can't be good, like it is a sign that something is really, really off, if not outright wrong.

It just seems strange, and like something that I wanted to mention here.

If you live in this region and experienced it, or live somewhere else with similar eerie weather as of late, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please share!

1 comment: