Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Our Earth Passes Carbon Dioxide Threshold

Earth from Space with Stars

Photo courtesy of DonkeyHotey Flickr Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyhotey/6143809369




The old button from the Environmental Club days which I just happened to find on Earth Day! It is a little beat up (particularly the ends of the ribbon), but no worse for the wear, I think. And it is one of the few items that I have left from those days, so it carries a lot of great memories for me! Nothing Changes Until You Do!



Here is a picture of a very similar logo, with the same message, that was on the t-shirt that I purchased from the BCC Environmental Club and, if memory serves me correctly, may even have helped to make. There were a few projects like that which club members, myself included, were regularly involved with. It has been so long, however, that I no longer recall specifically if I actually helped to make these or not, although I do believe so, since I remember seeing the process of the t-shirts being dyed. In any case, I loved this t-shirt, and have kept it ever since, even if I do not regularly wear it. Since it was part of my experience with the BCC Environmental Club days, as well as more generally having an environmental theme, it seemed appropriate to share it here. 



"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed."

~Mahatma Gandhi


"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
  
~John F. Kennedy  




There is a symbolic mark that the world just reached that should give all of us pause for thought: carbon dioxide has now reached the 400 parts per million threshold.

This level has been steadily rising, of course, since massive pollution began starting with the Industrial Revolution. It was no secret that it was going to reach and surpass this mark sooner or later, one way or the other.

Still, this is a sad distinction, and it should make us reflect solemnly on what we are doing right now, exploiting every possible corner of land that we can reap profits from, and draining our world's precious valuable resources.

Today, I recognize this solemn occasion, with hopes that we still will collectively wake up on time to do something to make this world a more livable planet for us all.





The Earth just permanently passed a symbolic carbon dioxide threshold Mashable, September 27, 2016:

No comments:

Post a Comment