Friday, March 17, 2017

Some Little Known Facts About St. Patrick's Day

Okay, another St. Paddy's Day is here.


I had my corned beef (which, I learned, does not even really exist on a major scale in Ireland) and cabbage, with potatoes and carrots. Wore green (at least on Friday, to the Irish pub), and wrote some blog entries with heavy Irish themes to them. Here I am, doing it yet again.



But as it turns out, the truth is that St. Patrick's Day is not really an Irish holiday. It's an American creation, with a distinctly Irish feel, but it was not a major holiday or anything in Ireland itself.



I have known that fact for a while now, but here was an article with some facts that I didn't know. I was familiar with some of these facts, but not as familiar with others.



One way or the other, though, it was interesting, and so I thought it was definitely worth sharing here on the Charbor Chronicles, and today on St. Patrick's Day, of all days:





"Everything You Know About St. Patrick's Day Is Wrong" by Christine Dalton of The Huffington Post, March 14, 2014:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/brutally-honest-st-patricks-day-facts_n_4957861.html

No comments:

Post a Comment