Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Trying to Preserve & Duplicate Family Photographs

This weekend was quite nice on my end. It was Father's Day weekend, of course, and that has always been special ever since I had the privilege of becoming a father when my son was born.

Yes, ever since then, Father's Day has been especially pleasant. 

There was one Father's Day some years back, when my son made a whole bunch of things that he gave to me for Father's Day. That included a card that he made, a rock that he painted inside of a bag that read, "#1 Dad," and a framed picture from the Boy Scouts complete with a picture of him. I felt overwhelmed with gratitude, and each of those things are among my prized possessions to this day.

For my own father this year, I got a copy of the 50th anniversary of the 'Sgt. Pepper' album, and had to fight my own urge to tear it open and look and listen to it. Those efforts were successful, and my father seemed to appreciate the gift. 

It was a weekend spent with the family, and during the weekend, my parents showed me an old photograph of the four members of our immediate family dating back to 1980, most likely. They mentioned that they wanted to take a picture of the picture, to make duplicates, as it were.

So, I obliged, and this is how it came out (see below).

Clearly, the hairstyles and clothes betray the era. And it seems remarkable that these memories are from well over three decades ago, and are now approaching four full decades! 

Just in case you were wondering, I am the little guy lying on the other three, which consist of my mother, my brother, and my father. The photo was taken in Liberty, New York, and apparently the day after my father arrived back from France. He stayed back in France for roughly six months after we moved back to the United States, in order to work and save up some money. His English was still shaky back then.

In fact, it remains a little shaky to this day. 

Just kidding. He speaks English quite well, and certainly speaks it more fluently than I speak French, I am sorry to say.  Hopefully, I can change that for the better in the near future.

In any case, just thought it would be nice to share this, and maybe, in the near future, to indeed make an online family album here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment