Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Super Bowl XXV Postgame Clips

A couple of days ago, I posted a blog entry about the 1990 season being my favorite one. 

Well, the NFC Championship Game between the visiting New York Giants and the San Francisco 49ers, the great dynasty of that time. The game was incredibly intense and physical. It's funny, because if you had told me years earlier that my favorite ever Giants game would be one in which they did not even score any touchdowns, it would have been admittedly hard to believe. Yet, that is exactly how it went, as New York managed to win - albeit barely - on a last second field goal in a game where they failed to produce a touchdown.

The Super Bowl was almost as good, and it ranks as my second favorite Giants game of all time, and my favorite Super Bowl of all time. Yet, I know, they won that first one four years earlier, and then there was the pair against New England, including that one when the Patriots were undefeated, in one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets in history.

Still, that 1990-91 season was tops to me, and those two games, played on back to back weekends, featured my very two favorite NFL games of all time. 

I guess at this point, it is not likely that any game will ever top those two. When I think of NFL football at it's very best, that is where I return to, personally. January of 1991, the New York Giants playing mistake free football, and outplaying - albeit barely - both the San Francisco 49ers and the Buffalo Bills, and ultimately winning their second, and final, Super Bowl title of the Bill Parcells era.

Of course, the outcome of both games was not fully known until the very end, essentially. The 49ers game was decided on literally the final play, with Matt Bahr kicking a field goal with no time left on the clock. Then, Scott Norwood's missed field goal sailed wide right with just four seconds left on the clock. The Giants knelt down on the ball, and then ran off the field in triumph.

It was intense. And here are some video clips from that game, including reactions from both Bills and Giants players, both right after the game, and reflecting years later.





















No comments:

Post a Comment