Sunday, February 11, 2018

'The Last Jedi' Has Replaced 'Attack Of The Clones' as Most Hated Star Wars Movie

Apparently, quite a few people really did not like this movie. It has reached levels of unpopularity that would break new ground for the Star Wars franchise.

I am surprised a bit. There are aspects of the movie that I did not really care for, admittedly. I still have some issues with Luke's seeming indifference to everything that was going on in the galaxy, or with how Leia did not die when she was literally shot out into space.

However, it was not an awful movie. I saw it twice, and it was entertaining both times. A lot of the issues that I personally had with the movie upon first viewing did not nearly bother me so much after the second viewing. Also, the fact that my son loved the movie, and suggested that it was his favorite Star Wars movie - and he's a big fan - meant something to me, and scored some points in favor of the movie in my book. After all, I loved Star Wars as a kid in particular where it appealed to my imagination. So strong was my love, that it has made me a lifelong fan, and it pleases me greatly that it could make my son feel the same way.

Yet, I could hardly be unaware of the seething hatred that some people - people who identify themselves as Star Wars fans, that is - had for the movie. I mean, there was a petition circulating which was signed by who knows how many fans, trying to take this movie out of the Star Wars canon. 

Come on! Seriously, get a life people!

Now, I personally did not feel that strongly about it, although it still admittedly feels like it lacked some of the magic of the old movies, to me. Of course, I was a kid back then, so it all felt incredible to me! We had never seen anything like the special effects, and the excitement, mixed with the drama, were irresistible. Also, collecting all of those cool toys, with characters and play sets with seemingly strange, exotic names to them, was just a ton of fun!

These days, there are differences. Kids do not collect the figures so much, yet they in some respects have something cooler, with the video games that in their own right are technological wonders, and a sign of the times! As a lifelong fan of Star Wars, I took heart that the franchise was renewed, and that a whole new generation of fans can be produced. It seems the perfect thing for a world that is increasingly fixated and overtaken, frankly, by technology.

That said, there were some troubling aspects to the new rebirth of the Star Wars franchise. It was alarming to some, including myself, for a variety of reasons. First of all, Disney took over the movies, and there are few corporations as huge and, in it's own way, as monstrous as Disney. Despite the marketing of Disney being geared towards a much younger audience - mostly children - the fact of the matter is that Disney has grown to become anything but benign. Many were worried that the movies would become too watered down and cute. Also, there were fears that it would only be about drawing more and more money, at the expense of quality. Those fears were hardly allayed when Mark Hamill, who obviously plays one of the most famous and iconic Star Wars characters, whispered to an audience during a speaking engagement supposedly promoting the new movie that many Hollywood films did not have to be good, but just had to generate a lot of money. Plus, there were concerns about the quality and originality of new Star Wars movies, as well as how much an audience would get into whole new stories and characters, and how enthusiastic audiences, even loyal Star Wars fans, would remain if indeed there is a new Star Wars movie every year, as Disney plans. So far, there indeed has been a new one every year, with the upcoming movie, 'Solo,' coming out less than half a year after 'The Last Jedi.' Many fans still seem bitter about this last movie, and it is a question, and possibly a serious concern, how much backlash there might be, and how that might effect 'Solo,' and other future Star Wars movies.

Frankly, it surprises me, the extent to which people truly hate this movie! I can understand not particularly enjoying the last movie, or having issues with it. But the sheer level of hatred, and the passionate hatred that some fans have exhibited, probably took more than a few people by surprise.

So, perhaps it is not surprising that 'The Last Jedi' now ranks among the least favorite, or perhaps more accurately, the most hated Star Wars movie of all time. I was not aware of that myself, even though this article, which I only recently encountered, actually came out in mid-December, shortly after the movie was released to mass audiences around the world.

Take a look at the article (see link) below, and judge for yourself:



The Resistance Rises: 'Last Jedi' Overtakes 'Attack Of The Clones' As Most Disdained Star Wars Pic  by Rob Cain , December 18, 2017:

No comments:

Post a Comment