Sunday, December 11, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things....

Under the right circumstances, I can like almost any and all weather, within moderation. I do not like hot, humid, muggy days, where a film of sweat develops instantaneously upon stepping out, and the heat is oppressive. Nor do I like brutally cold, windy, punishing winter nights, when whatever skin is exposed to the cold feels like it is getting slapped, and turns bright red. The extremities can be a bit much. I also certainly do not like hail and ice storms, especially if I have to drive in them, and the snow can be annoying for the same reason, as well as shoveling. But I like to watch the snow fall, and love seeing the snow hug the trees and bushes, making for a winter wonderland - especially when it is a bit off season, and there is a bit of foliage, either fall or early spring. I was working during the October snowstorm, when we got 19 inches in my area, and I could have kicked myself for not bringing a camera (another hobby is taking pictures, by the way, but one too long dormant now). I enjoy long, summer days, as well, especially when it is not suffocatingly hot. Love swimming and instantly cooling down, and love that first breeze after the sun sets and paints the distant horizon all shades of pastel colors. I do not mind the rain, like many other people seem to, and find a mysterious sort of romance in how quiet and lonely it can feel, including in the fog. And, of course, I love the moderation and colorfulness of the most moderate of seasons, spring and fall. The bright green of new life in spring, as newly emerging warmth melts Old Man Winter's icy grips or that burned away orange and red and yellow of autumn, when crisp autumn days and cool autumn nights chill out summer's excessive heat. (See? Now you brought the poet out of me! LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment