Friday, May 18, 2012

The Red Headed Stranger Comes to the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ


So, I saw a Willie Nelson Concert tonight! It was a gift, actually. My brother's early Father's Day present to me, and tonight was the night!
            There was an unexpected delay in meeting my brother, and since I was already in the area, it was a good opportunity to spend some down time in the down town, which I had not done in quite some time. So, I went to the bookstore, the Montclair Book Center, and perused the shelves there. I have been trying to wean myself from getting more books, since this can be an expensive habit, as well as one that takes up too much space at home. That said, I will still buy books from authors that I really enjoy, and that was the case yesterday, as I found a very nice copy of John Irving's new book, "In One Person" - which you can expect to see a review of on this blog some time in the future. Sure, I could have gotten it online for cheaper, most likely. But I want to support local businesses whenever possible, and places like that, which have some charm, need to stay afloat. There really is only one way that they will, and that is by having paying customers, and so I made the purchase.
            By the time my brother and I finally met up, we really did not have enough time to sit and eat anywhere. We might have, but the one place I tried, the little French pastry shop "Le Petit Parisien", closes up shop rather ridiculously early. Typically French, it closed at an annoying hour, while all around, there were patrons at restaurants dining in crowded outdoor cafes, enjoying their meals and drinks and the beautiful weather. Yes, it is a Thursday evening, but when you have the opportunity to bring in more business and take advantage of the potential for customers, why wouldn't you take advantage of that? But when I went to the door, the guy mentioned that he was closing up shop. It was the only food shop in the area that I noticed which was closed. Literally, all the others were open. After all, it was 7:30pm, so why not? He had a customer willing to pay in me, but I was turned away. When we finally ate (after the show), the money went to another (competing) dining establishment, although I gladly would have given that money to the owner of the French shop. Not smart business practices, if you ask me.
            It is not a long drive, and although the traffic can be annoying in the Montclair downtown area, and the parking usually winds up being a source of stress for one and all, the town itself has a very pleasant ambience. Can't remember the last time I went there and did not enjoy being there. Montclair is a college town, and has a lot of character and appeal, filled as it is with coffee shops and restaurants, antique stores and a very cool used book store (with newly extended late hours, to boot!). There is a movie theater that plays off the beaten path kind of movies, including B-movies and foreign films that you will not generally find playing at a local theater. Finally, there is the Wellmont Theater.
            The Red Headed Stranger came to the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, New Jersey. The theater itself is a beautiful place to see a concert, with great looking décor and awesome acoustics! Such a cool place to see a concert, with easy and convenient access (it's better than having to go to the city). 
            Before Willie and the band took the stage, Robert Ellis took the stage, and he was actually very good! I am not usually much of a country fan, admittedly (with Willie Nelson being a notable exception), but these guys were really strong, and had a certain intensity and soul to them that made their set very enjoyable, for me as well as for almost everyone else in the audience, which seemed quite receptive throughout the show, adding to the feel!
            Willie Nelson took the stage, and a gigantic Texas flag was unfurled to serve as a backdrop. He played up tempo all night long, and did his typical standards and hits. Some of the material that he played included The City of New Orleans, Whiskey River, I Never Cared for You (a song with beautiful, poetic lyrics), a cover of Hey Good Looking by Ernest Tubb, Me and Bobby McGee cover originally done by Janis Joplin. He played one song called Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die, which my brother mention seemed to more or less encapsulate his whole philosophy in general. It was a funny and enjoyable song that I had not been familiar with prior to this evening.
            This was only the second time that I had ever seen Willie Nelson in concert. The first time was about a year and a half ago, in Milwaukee, for the annual Farm Aid concert, that included him and Neil Young, Dave Matthews, and John Mellencamp. Those are the four standard acts every year, because they are the ones that have the most at stake and, thus carry the banner, of Farm Aid. Some of the other guests included Norah Jones and Jason Mraz. It was a great show overall, and I enjoyed the outdoors Farmer's Market kind of set up that they had, as well.
            The show last night was, of course, just Willie, but that was more than enough! He was a great act that stands on his own, and it was a very pleasant way to spend a Thursday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment