Friday, December 21, 2012

Halloween For the Holidays



Here's my son and I, enjoying a moment together. 





Just lately, things have been very serious. There was the school shooting last Friday, and there have been what seems like an endless number of funerals since, for far too many victims.

The world scene does not look much better, with the war continuing to rage in Syria, and Israel going ahead with plans to develop on lands that don't belong to them.

Here in Washington, talks of the "Fiscal Cliff" are still dominating the news, as is the stalemate. Boehner came up with what was called the Republican's "Plan B", which finally allowed for a tax increase for the richest among us, although it was restricted to those who made $1 million or more. But that plan stalled right in Boehner's own House, since it did not have enough Republican support, evidently. Can anyone say, embarrassing?

Of course, today, the 21st of December, is the day that, allegedly, the Mayans predicted would be the end of the world, according to many. Frankly, to my understanding, the Mayans did not predict that this would be the day the world ends. It is only the end of the Mayan calendar, and even that is under dispute. Some feel that we got the math wrong, and that the "real" end is on a later date. Others claim we got it wrong, and that the Mayans suggested no such thing, and that all the hype about an apocalyptic ending is indeed, just that: hype. We shall see. I'm guessing we will have to go on Mayan time, and that means that we have, perhaps, at least 24 hours to go until the end of this day.

But in the meantime, I thought it might be fun to do something a bit more lighthearted. Here in New Jersey, Halloween was officially delayed (frankly, it felt more like it was cancelled) following Halloween. That was kind of a bummer, too. So, I thought it might be fun to celebrate Halloween (at least a little bit) tonight, and took some pictures with my son.

There were three costumes from recent years that he still fit into. The first was Spiderman, which I got him the outfit for this year. He did get to use it in school, although it was the following week, when they rescheduled Halloween celebrations. At least they got to enjoy that, and show off and enjoy each other's uniforms, and just be kids.

The next one was Wolverine. Until recently, Wolverine was my son's favorite superhero. Some years ago, he wanted to legally change his name to Wolverine. I contemplated it, but after careful consideration, decided against it.

The final costume is of Darth Vader. You will notice, of course, that the helmet is way too big for Vader's body. Still, these were pretty cool pics.

Following the tragic events at Newtown last Friday, a week ago as I write this, I really have wanted to spend  not only more time, but quality time, with my son, Sebastien. Of course, it's not all fun and games. I am working with him on some things that he needs some help with, such as spelling and reading. But, there is also room for some fun, and a little taste of Halloween for the holiday season just seemed like a cool idea, especially since the opportunity was limited at best this past October, thanks to Sandy. Hopefully, it was quality time together, given extra added life by the click of a camera, freezing the moment and capturing it, so that it may continue to live on far beyond that day, that hour. I love photography, and really should do more of it. The quality of this camera may not have been the best, but I would like to get a better one in the near future. For now, I have enjoyed these ones, and the spirit that is, hopefully, represented in them.

I know that you nobody reading this (except for family) will enjoy them as much as I do, but still, in the spirit of the holidays, I just thought I'd share. He means the world to me (I remind him of that every chance I get), and since this is a time to appreciate what we have and most value in life, it seems entirely fitting for me to pay tribute to what I value the most.





Wolverine used to be his favorite Superhero. At first it was Spiderman, then it became Wolverine, and now, he has gone back to Spiderman as his favorite. But when he gets to dress up as Wolverine, he really gets into the act, as you can probably tell. Here he is, making one of the more famous Wolverine poses.





I really liked this picture, because it almost looks as if he's using his Jedi mind tricks in order to make a ball levitate, just like in the first Star Wars movie. However, it is his toy lightsaber, and all that is happening is that he is pointing it very close to the camera. But the effect was pretty good, and it makes this one of my favorite pics of the bunch! 




Not sure why he wanted me to take a picture of him playing a video game, but he did. This shows off the scarf & Tiger Scout shirt from the back. 





Here's lookin' at you, kid!





Maybe it's the poor quality of the camera, or maybe this is just a picture from closer up. But here, his claws somehow look a lot less intimidating, although his pose indicates that he is ready to strike! Bad guys, beware!





Darth Vader, with mask, gun, and lightsaber.






Again, not sure why he wanted me to show pictures of his games. But I promised, so here they are. 









I like this picture, because he really could pass for Wolverine/Logan, as far as his facial gesture is concerned. He looks angry and nasty and bad news for Supervillains everywhere, wherever they might be hiding.




Not sure if the picture comes out clearly here, but Lord Vader apparently is walking about with bare feet! 




Hey, it's the holiday season! Here's some web in your face! Sebast, pointing the web shooters directly at the camera.










Showing off the weapons from a galaxy far, far away - his imagination, that is. 




A crazed looking, miniature version of Peter Parker/Spiderman. Perhaps he just got in a fight with the Green Goblin, and is still a bit peeved about it. 





Wolverine again, although this time, he must be battle weary, because he seems a bit tired here. 








Here, he is doing a pose that seems to be a mix of Napoleon Bonaparte and Darth Vader. Not sure what provoked it, but thought it was cute enough to incorporate in this collection.


Here is Sebast, enjoying the view of his recently added muscles. 




I want YOU to join the Dark Side of the Force!






My little son in his Tiger's Scout outfit, donning a fake smile. I thought this was as  good a way as any to conclude this blog, with a picture of him in his scout uniform, and with his trademark photograph fake smile. He makes me proud every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment