Sunday, October 16, 2016

Giants Stadium Replica Built By Devoted Fan

For some reason, I have been thinking a bit about some of the times that I went to the old Giants Stadium, and saw events. The very first one was a professional football game, but it was the old World League of American Football (WLAF). Not sure, but I think it was the New York/New Jersey Knights versus the Orlando Thunder.

In any case, that may have been the first, back in the late spring of 1991, but it was certainly not the last. My brother and I would go to see Metallica and Guns 'N Roses, with Faith No More as the opening act, in the summer of 1992. 

Indeed, over the course of many years, I wound up seeing a lot of games and concerts at that old stadium. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have seen as many events there as I did, and it wound up being a lot of good memories, as well.

So, in thinking about it lately, I find myself missing it. It is just that I am not a particularly big fan of all of these super expensive, extremely fancy new stadiums and arenas for sports clubs throughout North America, and believe that the old stadiums served quite well within their own capacity. Still, it was replaced, although perhaps not as much in the hearts of the fans.

Here is an article about one fan who went to rather extraordinary lengths to preserve the memory of the stadium to the greatest extent that he could, by creating a very good replica of it:



One fan's Giant labor of love: Retired grandfather creates replica of old Giants Stadium  By Steve Politi, October 21, 2012:

No comments:

Post a Comment